96 k1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schepacarter

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Have had like 3 of these trucks and of course I keep the one that I want the least. I had an 89 with a single cab long bed, put a 6 inch lift on it and 35's and beat the hell out of it until I found out I had a son. So I had to get 4 doors. Went back to it 2 years later with a single cab short bed because I needed something to get me around when I blew my Saturn up. Got rid of it for a newer truck. Then I bought a jeep in 2016 and have had 3 transmissions put in it since. Had to lemon law it, but while it was in the shop, Chrysler refused to cover my rental. So I bought a single cab short bed v6 5 speed to get me to and from work while Chrysler bent me over.

I had to get rid of my dream truck, a 84 k10 diesel, in order to buy this truck. The k10 was daily-able if you ask me, but the wife did not tend to agree. So 8 months later, I have the jeep back, and it's running alright, and the truck is sitting. I would like to make it so that it's not sitting anymore, however I think I'm just going to dump money into it instead. I plan on making a build thread, but I would like input on it also, so this is where I'm going to repeatedly ask questions.

First things first. My frame is solid everywhere except the bottom channel in the rear. Both sides. Right where the leaf spring shackle is riveted onto the frame. The sides of the frame, where the shackle is mounted, are solid except one crack on the driver side. I'm cutting them out and welding in all new channel and then I'm going to do a shackle flip while I'm at it.

My question to start, is that do I need to get a shackle flip bracket for the front also? Or just the rear. I've done a lot of ifs and spring kits, but nothing with shackles. Just buying new springs and then putting them in the same spot with blocks if needed.

Also, if anyone has any type of recommendation on how to build a flat bed, I would appreciate it. I.e. how to wire in the new rear lights when I put it on. I can weld the channel together and get that done, but I'm just wondering what people have done in the past so that I can compare and see what I would like to do.

Thanks again for all the input and I will update you as things go along. Slowly but surely. This is the truck how it sits.
You must be registered for see images attach