96 Burb K1500 Under DownUnder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shortly after starting my
intro thread I ended up moving house, which sucks but needed to be done.

Nov 2015 - Bought the truck without entry certificate (called compliance here = no registration, number plates etc)

May 2016 - 1st attempt @ entry certificate = fail - mostly wear items, brakes, bj's, surface rust on the frame :banghead: and 6in rancho lift needs certification :mad:

June 2016 - frame was blasted and coated.

July 2016 - certifier inspected truck - chap doesn't like the Rancho or Pro Comp lifts as they have 4in lift blocks and a modified centre link. He then told me, allow upto $2000 for his fee and if it gets too hard he will just charge me $200 per hour for the privilege of him doing the work. My response: It's not an open chequebook mate, go fark yourself.

Drove the truck home and the next weekend removed the suspension lift. That fool is not getting a cent from me. Unfortunately I did not take any pics of the truck prior to removing things - was too pissed off.

I washed the truck yesterday - no wax and polish. Has a pretty good sheen to it for 21yr old paint.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ugly ass tail lights, ordered some Anzo led from amazon

Lower Arm removed for new BJ, bushes etc

Soon to be new wheel bearing

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stripped the interior somewhat as couple switches need replacing. Need access under the headliner as someone has wire tapped the cab light feed for the mirror. I'm not happy with how they ran the wires through the door. You can see in the engine bay pic, there is a wire tied to the windscreen wiper motor and another wire beside the radiator filler neck which are earth wires - not sure why there have done that.

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Clinton

Yes we did. I have only ever seen a couple of them around and both were diesels. I see more silverado's C1500 than anything else.

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headlights, indicators and parks are in.

I asked a chap I've known for a few years (who works for a "reputable" shop) to replace all ball joints as there was play in the front suspension. He stated only the driver's side upper bj needed to be done, the rest were fine and the play has been sorted.
While I have been trying to source and remedy the front diff mount bracket problem I have, I noticed a couple things . . .

That little surprise led to a bunch more parts being ordered from amazon and a couple of new tools. Always need more tools eh ;)

Out with the old, in with the new

Front end complete . . . for now. Will replace the upper a-arm bushes, pitman, idler arm and bracket once vehicle has passed compliance as I'll rip the front end apart again.

New bj's, tre's, lower bushes, wheel bearing, rotor and pads

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been a busy six months and truck is finally on the road - hooray and really it's just bitter sweet tho.

Truck has 2" blocks in the rear and is slightly cranked in the front. Makes the other vehicles look small - hahaha

The more I have driven it the more "issues" I have found or just simply not happy with. Now the real work begins . . .

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Over the winter I was getting frustrated with the weather. If it wasn't blowing fourty ba*turds, it was persisting down (much like today really). I built a pergola over the front of the garage, nice to have a bit more "room" to do things out of the rain and sun, mostly the rain at this time of year. Next was the carport so I could finish the boat off. Repaired the sole, new paint and a complete re-wire. That took four months but I'm glad it's done.

Today was the day . . .

Eight hours later (four actually doing the work, three hours drinking while watching v8 supercars and an hour sleeping) front suspension is out

Steering wasn't really in need of replacement but while I was this far in, might as well. Nothing worse than coulda, woulda, shouldve maybe done it when I had the chance.

Out with old and in with the new