96-98 v6 to v8 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Laydout98

Reaction score
I have a 98 chevy with a v6, I just bought wrecked 99 tahoe with a good running 5.7 I was planning to swap out the v6 with the v8.my qestion is what is all gonna bolt up the same? Will the v6 motor mounts work will my v6 radiator work? I know im going to have to swap the computers will i have to use the v8 engine harrness? My friend told me I might have to use the tourqe converter from the V8 tranny but he said he wasnt sure. Any advice would be helpful

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You'll need V8 mounts.
The rad may work, but how many miles are on it? They're cheap to buy new.
The torque converter will work, & will give you a higher stall speed. Guys with V8's will swap in a V6 t/c just for that reason. But again, how many miles are on it? Depending how much you can get for a core, together the one from the donor truck & the one from from your V6 might get you a better deal on a rebuilt or new V6 t/c.
As far as the wiring harness goes, I'll let someone else with more knowledge about that than I do, give you the info that you need.

Laydout98

Reaction score
My truck has 137,000 the tahoe has 125,000, they both run really good I just want a v8 in my truck and it seems like a fairly simple swap.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
It is pretty simple, and that 350 is the last of them. Everything from that point on are LS motors. Off hand I can't recall what the stall is on the V6, if it differs from the V8, but I'd get a new converter no matter. No point in chancing a 100k+ unit on a good install. Take all the mounts from the Tahoe and bolt them into your truck. You shouldn't have to buy anything. You may want to just swap the trans as well if you aren't buying a new converter. Don't even seperate them, just all out and all in. The Tahoe probably has a locker, you might want to scavenge that as well. The G80 isn't ideal, but better than the open diff.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The motor mounts are a PITA to change. Gotta drop the lower control arm, & remove the shock & spring to get to the bolts in the frame. Or you can do what we did when I had to change mine. Cut a 2" hole in the frame with a hole saw to get to the bolts, then weld the plug back in when the mounts are in.