96 5.7 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camajew

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Hey everyone new guy here. I've got a 96 1500 5.7 with about 270k, rebuilt 4l60e, 2wd, 5 lug, 10 bolt rear end. Dont know what final drive is.
I mainly daily it but id like to start towing things around but want to make sure its up to the job. I have a trailer/car hauler ill be using from time to time & looking at getting a project boat sometime in the future too.
I do plan on doing a few upgrades like long tube headers, full exhaust, tune etc & im curious what others have done to wake up their 5.7s.

Normally what would this truck be rated for towing?
Is 270k miles a bit too many to tow on?
Is doing upgrades worth it or should i maybe look at finding a 3/4 or 1 ton?
Thanks in advance

Camajew

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This trailer & a small car for now then a boat when i find one i like. Im thinking between 24 to 28 foot.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gears will help more than all those performance mods. Especially if you have 3.08 gears like a lot have. Swapped my 3.08s out for 3.42s and that helped a lot and still kept the rpms down on the hwy. I'm running 235 tires if that helps. Knowing your gear ratio will help a lot in determining what you can tow and what your mods should be.

Camajew

Reaction score
Gears will help more than all those performance mods. Especially if you have 3.08 gears like a lot have. Swapped my 3.08s out for 3.42s and that helped a lot and still kept the rpms down on the hwy. I'm running 235 tires if that helps. Knowing your gear ratio will help a lot in determining what you can tow and what your mods should be.

Is there an easy way to tell what gears i have? Vin code or rear end markings etc

Nevermind i found it.
Aparently i have the 3.42 with the limited slip.
GU6 & G80

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tag may still be on the diff... rpo codes.. or lift the rear, mark the driveshaft and wheel then spin the driveshaft by hand (must be in neutral). Count how many times the driveshaft goes around for the tire to make 1 full revolution...

Even better... new to you truck.. change the fluid in rear diff.... the ring gear is stamped with the ring and pinion tooth count.. divide ring gear tooth count (larger number) by the pinion tooth count.....

sent from what use to be a great country...

brutpwr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with the above. You will want steeper gearing. Probably 3:73 for the car hauler and up to 4:10 or more if you plan on a 28 foot boat depending on tire size. Personally you might want to consider upgrading to a heavier truck if your looking for a 28 foot boat. Even the 24 footer I think you will want to upgrade the rear axle and other items.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You want long tube headers and a tune. Get rid of those 1 7/8" head pipes they're killing you. You might even forget about gears with those 2 mods, they're VERY substantial in the torque dept. That said, 3.73 would be the ideal gear IMO for the 2WD setup. Were you TBI I'd say 3.42.