96 1 ton Chevy Crew Cab Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brenan Smith

In need of 97 6.5 diesel wiring schematic help!!
Reaction score
Well i finally found some time to get started into the sas, school has been hectic and ive got a little to many irons in the fire, so far ive got all the ifs components out from underneath, and just started into cleaning the frame of all the leftover brackets welded on it, got the axle laying in front of the pickup, got the kit and everything else last week including: high clearance pitman arm, new brackets, leafs, and all the hardware and extras that come with it all from the great guys at offroad design(and i really recommend them, very helpful) im in the process of making a front crossmember to replace the factory one the lower control arms bolted into, also saved about 500 bucks by making my own drag link /crossover setup and not getting the knuckle machined and the crossover kit to go with it, front lift im thinking should total to about 7 inches , 3 inches in the brackets and aftermarket 5 leaf spring packs which should be 4 inches, will keep posted and take more pictures!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome, good luck with the build!
I really like these chummins builds, especially with the sas. Seems like a great way to make big power in our trucks.

rcb1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested to see your build! I work the daylights out of my k3500 and the IFS doesn't like it... but it has been abused over its life. My dad gave it to me once it at end of life on a lot of maintenance parts (but had a relatively new motor). I've slowly been coaxing it back to life. Between our fields I can exceed the articulation on the ifs, but that concerns me less than the cost and hassle of control arm bushings, CV joints and lack of maintenance access (like dropping the axle to change an oil pan?!). I'm not sure how much money I really feel like putting into this truck but if the stars ever align I've thought of doing an SAS.

I'm a Mopar guy and am currently dropping a 4bt into a Ramcharger. On the Ramcharger, have a solid axle was necessary for clearance on these tall motors.

Good luck! I can't wait to see your progress.

Brenan Smith

Reaction score
I'm interested to see your build! I work the daylights out of my k3500 and the IFS doesn't like it... but it has been abused over its life. My dad gave it to me once it at end of life on a lot of maintenance parts (but had a relatively new motor). I've slowly been coaxing it back to life. Between our fields I can exceed the articulation on the ifs, but that concerns me less than the cost and hassle of control arm bushings, CV joints and lack of maintenance access (like dropping the axle to change an oil pan?!). I'm not sure how much money I really feel like putting into this truck but if the stars ever align I've thought of doing an SAS.

I'm a Mopar guy and am currently dropping a 4bt into a Ramcharger. On the Ramcharger, have a solid axle was necessary for clearance on these tall motors.

Good luck! I can't wait to see your progress.

Thanks!, and IFS treats you good... till you jack her up lol

Last edited:

Brenan Smith

Reaction score
Well havent got a whole lot done since more school and waiting on parts, but the update is that the frame is stripped, all smoothed out, front brackets are mounted and springs mounted up front too, waiting on bushings for the rear since ORD didnt send me enough and also waiten on u bolts and plates but heres a pic of the progress

Last edited:

Brenan Smith

Reaction score
Heres the new update yall!:

Everythings torqued down and ready to go to at least move it around the barnyard and test it a little, heres a list of the remaining to dos: replace hubs/bearings, rotors/calipers/pads, tie rod/ends, drag link/ends, shaft u joints, driveline, shocks, and will be regearing to match my 14 bolt, installing my crossmember i fabed to replace the ifs member , then my cummins motor crossmember im making that will also tie into the track bar (once i start swapping the 12v), and thats just a rough sketch for finishing up the SAS, its not as high as i thought it would be since the springs settled about an inch but counting brackets its about 4" from stock but heres how she sits now on her own weight

And its got cali swag like hell as you can tell, but i did order from ORD a rear shackle flip with greasable bushings/sleeves/bolts that will be here in a couple days that hopefully be close to level then once that is bolted on ill go from there for lift size, think i might zero rate it since my 1100 lb motor definitly will weigh it down some more, its getting there though so stayed tuned folks!

Last edited:

Brenan Smith

Reaction score
Well havent gotten much done since school and work fill my scedule quite well, put some of my new steering parts on anywho i threw a set of stocker steelies wrapped in some nice 35s, basically they just gettin me by till the spring when i buy a nice setup
Before:

After:

Also ive been doin alot of metal fab building all myself at my highschool in my welding class just to give me somethin to do at school, workin on alot including new front crossmemeber, shock hoop brackets, bolt on/off shock hoops, u bolt plates, flushing the frame with flat sheet to smooth it all out and more, once i get all the metal work done i can bring her back home and finish the lift since i changed my mind and am goin 8" all the way around, and finish everything else to complete the sas and start on the cummins swap heres the rough list of what i have left to complete the sas:

Will keep yall posted as she gets closer n closer to being drivable

Brenan Smith

Reaction score
Dude looks great, that's the perfect height for an SAS.
Thanks!, and yeah i have blocks and springs to go 8" all around but an going to drive it at 4 where its at now, put the shackle flip on and see how i like it there, plus im still doing an easy inch in the front so still considering diferent options

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
that does look good. congratulations on the hard part.
welding, to me, is fun. having a good machine takes all the frustrations out of it. i have a crappy MIG. when it works, i enjoy it.