95 Z-71 with dead dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geolow97

Reaction score
It has been about a year since I've been without an 88-98 CK. I'm needing a fix! I looked at a 95 tonight. Reasonable Bruce. Mechanically sound. No rust but....they had the distributor hot wired because something is messed up in the column. An ICPU? But they said it is this part that communicates with the ecu. Anyways they blamed this part for the oil, temp and,voltsgages not working as well as the dash lights , turn signals or 4 ways. Has anyone heard of this? Is it as simple as a 80 dollar part? I really like this truck but I really don't want to rewire it. Any thoughts?!

Sent from Charleston SC

geolow97

Reaction score
Well, I bough it! Guess it's time to dig in and get it fixed. All of my gages work until I turn on the headlights. My third brake light works , but my brake lights in the tail lights do not. My right turn indicator is on constant and neither turn signal or 4 ways will work. I have had issues in the past when the boards go in the tail lights, but not this extensive and the tail lights in the truck appear to be new. Oh, and the distributor has to be hot wired to run. Any suggestions would be great! Thank you all!!

Sent from Charleston SC

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This most definitely sounds like it is a fault in the steering column. Turn signals, high/low beam, ignition switch all go through column.

I'd start with taking wheel off, and checking the stalk that controls everything, the one on the left-hand side. There must be s switch and wiring harness/connectors that can be replaced or diagnosed.

geolow97

Reaction score
This most definitely sounds like it is a fault in the steering column. Turn signals, high/low beam, ignition switch all go through column.

I'd start with taking wheel off, and checking the stalk that controls everything, the one on the left-hand side. There must be s switch and wiring harness/connectors that can be replaced or diagnosed.
Thank you! I've got the column dropped and the trim pieces split. Broke 1.[emoji16] Gonna replace the ignition switch already. In tearing down, I did find a definite issue. My dash is so brittle and falling apart that it's not supporting the cluster and all of the laminent connections in the cluster that are supposed to line up with the plug in the dash are all ripped off of the cluster and touching each other. Think I've got to replace my dash and cluster too. Let the fun begin! Oh well, it's a solid truck for a good price. Worth the work! Thanks!

Sent from Charleston SC

geolow97

Reaction score
Hey, any suggestions on where I can find a dash? I looked at LMC and a couple other places and they only have the trim pieces, not the main plastic body. And down here in SC they are all pretty sun baked in the salvage yards.

Sent from Charleston SC

geolow97

Reaction score

Ironhead? Here's mine!
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from Charleston SC

geolow97

Reaction score
Thanks! Ya, bought it for $ 800 bucks and built it from there. Still didn't really cost much. And no electronic issues there, not even with a starter. Unless my leg is tired. Lol!

Sent from Charleston SC

geolow97

Reaction score
Well, pretty sure I found my issue. All if the laminated connectors on the back of the cluster were broken loose and touching because the dash is in such bad shape. And the previous owner must have been popping fuses because the 30 amp fuse on the drivers side firewall under the hood was removed. That takes care of the lighting issues I believe and in my search for a dash, I was able to get an entire steering column with a new ignition switch thrown in. So next hour or two , I'll get the new (recycled) parts installed and see what happens!

Sent from Charleston SC

geolow97

Reaction score
Well, got the dash and steering column , instrument cluster , some fuses, and various trim pieces swapped in. She runs great and even starts without a jumper wire to the coil! Now, on to the distributor. It has about 3/8" display and is making the truck slip at idle and occasionally stall in traffic. But all in all , it's coming together well and seems to be a good deal. All I know is it feels good to have a K1500 to hop in and drive again! Now back on to the 66 C-10. Thanks guys!

Sent from Charleston SC