95 Yukon Issues w/ Z82 Factory Towing Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighCaliber

Reaction score
Hello all,

I finally got underneath my 1995 Yukon GT for the first time to try and figure out my "lack" of a trailer hitch connector/wiring. My RPOs state I have VR4 weight distribution hitch and Z82 trailer provisions. Today's poking around under there lead me to quiet a few questions. I've learned a lot about the wiring on our trucks by reading hundreds of forum posts. But even after all the hours of reading, I am stumped on a few things on my truck. I've attached pictures below all my questions.

1)Why are all my factory rear lighting wires cut, then 4" of wire spliced in, then reconnected? Why even cut them then? One or two are not even connected to anything as seen in the pictures.

2)What is the purpose of the other bunch of wires electrical taped way up high above the right side of the hitch? They are up under the tailgate and look like the factory wiring for 4 lead trailer lighting. I did not want to pull/mess with it without consulting you guys first. It's too far up there for a cellphone pic.

3)Where does the thick orange and blue wires on the left come from and go to? I thought those were the power wires for an aftermarket trailer brake controller but there is NO slack in them and they seem to be attached somewhere under the tailgate.

I bought the truck to seasonally trailer a small utility/leaf trailer to the dump, a small 1,000lbs duck boat/trailer combo and my 26' Aerolite travel trailer that is just under 4,250lbs. The travel trailer has tandem axles with electronic brakes so I'd like to use them if possible but have to figure why my wires are all cut first before buying a brake controller & installation kit.

Thanks in advance.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1) I would just think that a previous owner would have cut them, and changed his mind maybe? I`m not too sure. But I definitely dont think it came that way from factory.

2) There should be a plug with 4 little connecters on the end of it. This is for an older style connector for a trailer to connect to. Modern trailers will use a 7 way plug. There are lots of options for finding a 4 way to 7 way plug in to be able to use the connector yet. But you have to hard wire 3 wires (Should be white - ground, black - 12V power, and blue - for brake controller)

3)The orange and blue wires are also for your trailer harness wiring. The orange is 12V and if you follow the wires up to the engine bay. You will see that it goes to almost directly under the brake master cylinder. Between there and the engine you will see the 2 wires come up. The orange wire will have an eyelet on the end, it is perfect length so you can wire it into AUX A or AUX B in fuse box. The blue wire goes to the same spot, but this will connect to a blue wire off a brake controller. The orange and blue wire would be used for when a 7 way plug is installed.

The 4 way connector should be color coded with; Yellow, white, dark brown, and green. Hope this helps and good luck!

EDIT: If you need help on which wires to tap into/routing wires/installing brake controller etc.. just give me a private message to respond back to me. I recently did this as well,