95 G20 Van Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
the chip is probably your biggest downfall, if you actually looked into the uselessness of premade chips youd understand more that its hindering more than it truly helps. your doing 0-65 in that time!? id be looking at regearing it, that time is downright atrocious. plus tbi doesnt really take that long to "learn" your fuel and timing tables are completely mapped out, base time is completely mechanical as is the advance, tbi relys very little on its electornics besides that for fuel trim and advance, the rest of it is medial.

i might just be a blunt realist, but if your buying premade chips you havent learned enough in the last 25s years, and still considering smoking the tires to be a unit of measurement for the seat of the pants dyno certainly isnt of any use either.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
heres what im seeing wrong.
I have to let everyone know the progress of my 1995 G20 Van 5.7 TBI PERFORMANCE UPGRADES.
First off I started out doing 5 runs on the same stretch of road from 0-65 mph. My best time was 19.97 worse was 17.69.
Here's what I have done so far.
1-Complete tune with Accel header plugs, high output Accel coil, Packard 8.2wires, Cap rotor and a new distributor, silicone vac lines, PCV valve, Accel Kool Blue Air filter, Reworked air cleaner, Fuel line magnetic field, Reworked Throttle Body, injector spacer, 14-16 pound spring, TBI Spacer Plate, Air Cleaner Spacer, Fuel Filter, Performance Chip, Timing to 10° advanced!!!
I made only one run as it can take up to 2 weeks for the chip to learn my driving way's. It was in the 15 sec range and it was pulling like crazy until the speedo was pegged!!! The difference was awesome already. IT literally pushed me back in the seat!! No BS!. From a dead stop it'll spin the tires for 30+ feet!!! I'll keep adding the new time's and the other upgrades I have planned. My goal is a true Sleeper Van!!!
Just FYI, I have to install the following as time allows: Shorty headers and 3" dual exhaust exiting in front of the rear tires, 160° thermostat, Under drive pullies, 410 posi rear, auxiliary fuel pump(which is why only one run, it couldn't keep up under full throttle), Transmission Shift kit, 2400 stall speed converter, cam, heads and Working hood scoops for true Cold air intake. I have everything except the converter, shift kit, heads and cam. I figured about two months or so to complete everything. I'm hoping for 13 seconds in the quarter. I think I'll make it.
Any other suggestions for more power and any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

fancy plugs and wires, great waste of money but whatever looks pretty i guess, in sconsideraton that a proper delco or NGK plug will do everything plus more than accels. i guess most of your fault her was overspending.

reworked air cleaner? so its a hot air now? especially in a van i cant see there being much breathing room ni the first sense.

fuel line magnetic field?

modifying the throttle body is a great step,

performance chip should be taken out, put your timing back to 0* or close to, 10* is only because your chip wether hypertech or jet or tbichips or whatever has basically screwed your timing tables in a fashoin that isnt helping you.

the puish you back in the seat and smoking the tires is probably because your running 255s, thats a tiny tire for short a small ratio. plus its likely dumpign a bunch more fuel without being mapped properly throughout the table

160* thermostat isnt gonna help you, actual map your fuel tables properly without your "chip" and youd be surprised, and your jut gonna run even richer and crappier with denser fuel

4.10s and 2400 stall on what heads? seems like a pipe dream without tuning it, underdrive pullys isnt gonna do much of anything, what cam?

sounds like a tossed together parts bin currently, youve decided gear ratio and stall before consulting H/C/I

13 seconds is easy, been there dont that.

my suggestons for power? demod what youve done initially and revamp your thinking here, tuning is gonna be your best friend, without it your "build" is gonna sound cool, but youll still be running 19 seconds from 0-65 (which is downright horrid)

SlowZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy sounds a lot like fast 305/355 depending on which forums you're on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
And the last thing I do is throw parts at a job. I researched every part I have ever bought. If it doesn't work I call the factory and work it out!!!

Reaction score
One more thing. I didn't get my Chip from chips r us!!! It works off the maf sensor and it does work!!! I don't know what or where you've gotten chips from or what you expected from it. I got mine too work with the other upgrades, not expecting a miracle rather to have an effect on the whole thing combined with others..

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
didnt know TBI had a MAF, you wanted feedback on what youve done, so far, not impressive, its slow as hell and it sounds like your not doing something right, if it took you 25 years to fail that badly i certainly wouldnt have tried again.

Reaction score
I was able to make one run today and 0-65 was 13.86!!! Not too bad so far. Slow my ass!

Reaction score
FYI, That last run of 13.86 was with a blown alternator I discovered when I got home!!! I just ordered a 200amp one for the auxiliary lights, pumps etc. Should be great.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are the vans really inherently that slow? My V6 truck will run approximately 10sec 0-60 and (high)17sec 1/4.

EDIT - Whoops, mines a Vortec. Forgot this was a TBI thread.