95 G20 Van Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have to let everyone know the progress of my 1995 G20 Van 5.7 TBI PERFORMANCE UPGRADES.
First off I started out doing 5 runs on the same stretch of road from 0-65 mph. My best time was 19.97 worse was 17.69.
Here's what I have done so far.
1-Complete tune with Accel header plugs, high output Accel coil, Packard 8.2wires, Cap rotor and a new distributor, silicone vac lines, PCV valve, Accel Kool Blue Air filter, Reworked air cleaner, Fuel line magnetic field, Reworked Throttle Body, injector spacer, 14-16 pound spring, TBI Spacer Plate, Air Cleaner Spacer, Fuel Filter, Performance Chip, Timing to 10° advanced!!!
I made only one run as it can take up to 2 weeks for the chip to learn my driving way's. It was in the 15 sec range and it was pulling like crazy until the speedo was pegged!!! The difference was awesome already. IT literally pushed me back in the seat!! No BS!. From a dead stop it'll spin the tires for 30+ feet!!! I'll keep adding the new time's and the other upgrades I have planned. My goal is a true Sleeper Van!!!
Just FYI, I have to install the following as time allows: Shorty headers and 3" dual exhaust exiting in front of the rear tires, 160° thermostat, Under drive pullies, 410 posi rear, auxiliary fuel pump(which is why only one run, it couldn't keep up under full throttle), Transmission Shift kit, 2400 stall speed converter, cam, heads and Working hood scoops for true Cold air intake. I have everything except the converter, shift kit, heads and cam. I figured about two months or so to complete everything. I'm hoping for 13 seconds in the quarter. I think I'll make it.
Any other suggestions for more power and any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I have to let everyone know the progress of my 1995 G20 Van 5.7 TBI PERFORMANCE UPGRADES.
First off I started out doing 5 runs on the same stretch of road from 0-65 mph. My best time was 19.97 worse was 17.69.
Here's what I have done so far.
1-Complete tune with Accel header plugs, high output Accel coil, Packard 8.2wires, Cap rotor and a new distributor, silicone vac lines, PCV valve, Accel Kool Blue Air filter, Reworked air cleaner, Fuel line magnetic field, Reworked Throttle Body, injector spacer, 14-16 pound spring, TBI Spacer Plate, Air Cleaner Spacer, Fuel Filter, Performance Chip, Timing to 10° advanced!!!
I made only one run as it can take up to 2 weeks for the chip to learn my driving way's. It was in the 15 sec range and it was pulling like crazy until the speedo was pegged!!! The difference was awesome already. IT literally pushed me back in the seat!! No BS!. From a dead stop it'll spin the tires for 30+ feet!!! I'll keep adding the new time's and the other upgrades I have planned. My goal is a true Sleeper Van!!!
Just FYI, I have to install the following as time allows: Shorty headers and 3" dual exhaust exiting in front of the rear tires, 160° thermostat, Under drive pullies, 410 posi rear, auxiliary fuel pump(which is why only one run, it couldn't keep up under full throttle), Transmission Shift kit, 2400 stall speed converter, cam, heads and Working hood scoops for true Cold air intake. I have everything except the converter, shift kit, heads and cam. I figured about two months or so to complete everything. I'm hoping for 13 seconds in the quarter. I think I'll make it.
Any other suggestions for more power and any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated!

i would save doing the gears till you fine tune the whole thing......gearing will skew the whole experiment....just my opinion.....one thing at a time, check results......the entire package will yield more than the sum of it's components.....lower gears will destroy your incremental progress.

Reaction score
Your right and I should have stated that in my post. The gears will be the very last thing I do as I'll have to recalibrate the speedo and adjust for tire size which I'm going to try and change if I can find wheels that I like. I'm trying to find a gently used set but in The southern part of Arizona where I live they are far and few between. Most are Ford and Dodge! I'm too cheap to buy new ones. I'd rather put that money into the performance. Also I mistakenly said that I wanted to get to the 13's, I'm looking for under 10 seconds. As you said that after everything is "dialed in" and before the gears. My next runs will be before the exhaust and trans work. I'll keep you posted. And thanks for catching that.

Reaction score
Another quick update. I'm going to replace all the sensors in the van. It's only got 123,700 miles and the original owner took very good care of it but he didn't replace anything unless it was bad. He'd put in a new engine and transmission but all the accories are from New!!! I'm going to also replace the water pump with a high Flow unit, Flow matched injectors etc etc etc. I learned from the other Vans I have owned that once you get up in year's and mileage everything starts to go at once. So that's why I'm doing everything as money and time allows. I did this with my other full size Van which I still have and it runs great. Even though I don't have as many Performance enhanced parts on it. Just a few things and some tricks I've learned along the way. I'll share them another day. Bye for now.

SlowZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're going to need a lot more then heads, a cam and some tranny work to get a pig of a van under a 10 second quarter mile, if I read that right. Instead of wasting money and time on an auxiliary fuel pump, drop the tank and install one from a 91 or 92 Z28. Those pumps can handle higher fuel pressures since those engines used TPI which higher pressure injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I would be a dreamer for a 10 second quarter mile!!! I meant from 0-65mph!!! My best so far before the upgrades is 15.97. 10 is doable.

Reaction score
PS, it's not a pig anymore that's for sure as I can smoke the tires without powerbreaking!!! I have owned Vans since 92 and have learned a lot of tricks since then. I'll post pics and a complete list of everything I've done when I have finished. I'm hoping to surprise myself and everyone else!!! LOL

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i was already in the 13s with a lifted yukon..................not to be that guy but most of your mods arent helping a lick if you actually investigated a bit.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
13 seconds in a TBI 350 G20 van? Good luck. :D

Update after reading more - under 10 seconds? LOLZ

Richard

Last edited:
Reaction score
Miscommunication!!! TIME'S ARE FROM 0-65 MPH!!! NOT A QUARTER MILE. And I have seen/felt a BIG improvement already. Tomorrow I'm going to do some more runs, 0-65mph and I'll post the improvement so far although I don't expect the full effect due to the fact that the chip needs a couple of hundred miles to fully "Learn" itself to the engine. I think many of you will be surprised by the results. My other full size Van which doesn't have all the upgrades this one does is pretty quick for such a big vehicle. I can smoke the tires which is pretty good considering I have 255/70/15 tires on it!! Like I have said before I have learned some good tricks for the TBI's over the last 25 years I've owned Vans and car's with TBI.
AGAIN THE TIMES ARE FROM 0-65 MPH NOT THE QUARTER MILE!!!