94 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
does it look like your tires are toed out or leaning in or out?

I got the compressor on monday before it too unbearably hot. So glad I modified my compressor mounting bolts, it makes changing it out a breeze. I ground down one side on all three bolts to clear the pulley, amazing difference.

The TRE's are possibly out a little bit, but I am not certain. To be honest I never had it aligned after replacing the TRE's last spring, because I got it pretty close to the way it was. I need to grease everything and see if I can't get a measurement going, however, if I just remain patient I will need to do an alignment after installing a new gear box and steering shaft. I have pitman and idler arms that came with my kit last year to go on when I do the gear box.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I am having great difficulty with my power door locks. I have bought new ones, and they didn't work, so I picked up some OEM ones from salvage.

My test was not attached to the door rod, check power to see if mechanism works, yes both salvage ones work. I fight the whole one piece nightmare again to change these stupid things out, press the button it works halfway slowly to nothing (attached where it belongs). I have greased everything and it kinda halfaxx helped, still more nothing than anything else.

Is there an upgrade to have relays instead of the factory craptastic reverse polarity nonsense? I have searched on here and as things go everything was for newer than a 94. Well I don't know if it's all the same or not, so I didn't read much of anything newer than mine.

EDIT: I may have tracked the problem as a switch issue. I searched pretty good, and finally found something useful.

Last edited:

str8fan7

Reaction score
I got the compressor on monday before it too unbearably hot. So glad I modified my compressor mounting bolts, it makes changing it out a breeze. I ground down one side on all three bolts to clear the pulley, amazing difference.

The TRE's are possibly out a little bit, but I am not certain. To be honest I never had it aligned after replacing the TRE's last spring, because I got it pretty close to the way it was. I need to grease everything and see if I can't get a measurement going, however, if I just remain patient I will need to do an alignment after installing a new gear box and steering shaft. I have pitman and idler arms that came with my kit last year to go on when I do the gear box.
I replaced my gear box on Saturday. It is at the alignment shop right now...

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
After some sweat equity and a few choice words, my Z71 is finally road safe again. In the last week I have done a gear box, steering shaft, both PS lines, plumbed in a steering cooler, replaced both pitman and idler bracket and arms, as well as an alignment this morning.

For those not aware, this is the first time really driving it since the accident in February, so almost exactly six months since I drove it, but I have a resto-modded 94 5 speed Z71.

I will post pics later once I upload them to my computer.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
As promised pictures, because everyone loves progress pics.

My upper radiator hose reroute around the LS 5.3 145a alternator, with a temperature probe for the electric fans.
You must be registered for see images attach

my ugly hose support

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Steering updates:
old with 290k, still worked minus the horrendous leak from the bottom seal

new box

new u jointed steering shaft from Borgeson replacing the worn out rag joint

old

cut down and installed:

I removed about 7-8 inches overall (can't recall exactly), but the before and after is a night and day difference. I also plumbed in a steering cooler I picked up from salvage a while back from a one ton chevy truck.

I got her aligned yesterday, and man it was nice to drive it again!

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I have a power distribution block on order from summit to clean up the battery terminal. Should be here next week.

Oh and the finished (for now) picture:

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is looking good! What electric fans are you running? Also what power distribution block did you order from summit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Truck is looking good! What electric fans are you running? Also what power distribution block did you order from summit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
E fans are the flex a lite 280. Direct fit for 92-99. Got mine from amazon for $535. Summit and Jegs sells for $600 ish.

Painless 8 point distribution box. $30

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Okay y'all, I finished the junction block install a few days ago, and I like it. It certainly cleaned up the battery post a great amount.

I also bought and installed a 160* thermostat, because my fans come on at 175*, and it wasn't allowing the 180* thermostat to open. I have too much money in this to possibly melt my engine due to improper coolant circulation. Now to get a new chip burned to compensate for the lower temp thermostat.