94 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
sounds like its moving along nicely... Getting closer to getting mine back on the road. Got all the sheet metal, minus the hood in place. waiting for all the lights to come, should be here end of this week. Still need to install radiator and all the new lines and then she will be driveable at least. Scored big this weekend at the local pull and pay. Complete bumper (no marks on it at all) radiator shroud, wiring harness for lights and a new emblem for the grille for $69

Nice score!!

It is getting there, but I still want to buy a gear box, PS hoses, and a steering shaft before I put it on the road again.

str8fan7

Reaction score
Nice score!!

It is getting there, but I still want to buy a gear box, PS hoses, and a steering shaft before I put it on the road again.
I need to do a steering gear box as well. I had just got her back together from redoing the front end. Ball joints, tie rod ends etc. before bambi came out to play...I can get a gear box for $111 through a friend but the core is $200...Gotta get new tires as well....

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Yeah the core charges on these boxes are brutal. I can get a new one for $160 or something like that, but the core is $200. My gear box leaks so bad it's not even funny.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing too impressive done to it. I did get an adapter to plug in the fan temp sender to the intake simply because I didn't trust cutting the radiator hose to be leak free or be accurate for temperature readings.

However, in my attempt to make it all like I want it, I found a stuck open thermostat. I moved the top radiator hose just to have more room to work. I buy the failsafe brand of thermostats because of the one year warranty and they are designed to stick open in the event there is a failure. I like this theory as opposed to blowing a gasket somewhere. I swapped out the thermostat under warranty.

I did buy a new belt tensioner, and it moved more freely than the OEM one. Nice to see parts last a long while (290k).
I hope you have better luck with failsafe thermostats than I did. The one in my truck failed when it was just out of warranty. And the one in my van is bad right now, and of course out of warranty also. The truck's lasted about 2000 miles and the van's about 4000 miles. The way they came up with the name failsafe is that it's a safe bet it will fail. I called them and the person I spoke to was as rude as they could be.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I hope you have better luck with failsafe thermostats than I did. The one in my truck failed when it was just out of warranty. And the one in my van is bad right now, and of course out of warranty also. The truck's lasted about 2000 miles and the van's about 4000 miles. The way they came up with the name failsafe is that it's a safe bet it will fail. I called them and the person I spoke to was as rude as they could be.

So far (knock on wood) mine have lasted longer than yours, and both times I noticed something odd was in the winter time and I needed the heater. I had little heat and it was colder than normal, so I didn't think too much into it.

I still like how they stick open, because I have had other thermostats that stuck shut on me sending the temps into the danger zone.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far (knock on wood) mine have lasted longer than yours, and both times I noticed something odd was in the winter time and I needed the heater. I had little heat and it was colder than normal, so I didn't think too much into it.

I still like how they stick open, because I have had other thermostats that stuck shut on me sending the temps into the danger zone.
Yeah they will stick open. Like I said before I hope you have better luck than I did but with the lack of heat problem you had it sounds like your luck is like mine. I just keep an eye on my gauges and go from there. I've been driving for more than 52 years and I haven't fried a motor yet.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I keep a watchful eye on my gauges. I have aftermarket gauges for oil and water so I know what is going on.

I've been driving 20 years and haven't blown a motor, I did have one pop a head gasket due to manufacturer error once, but that's it.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I went yesterday to get my air conditioner charged for the first time since the wreck, and my ac compressor was making a horrible racket. So I got a new one a few hours ago under warranty, but I will wait to put it on in the morning when it's not 98 in the direct sunlight. Naturally I have no shade to do this in, oh well such as life.

This is also the first time I've actually drove the truck since the wreck and I noticed that it pulled sort of hard to right. Upon visual inspection the tie rods and ball joints are up to code (all new last summer), so is there something else I need to look for?

str8fan7

Reaction score
I went yesterday to get my air conditioner charged for the first time since the wreck, and my ac compressor was making a horrible racket. So I got a new one a few hours ago under warranty, but I will wait to put it on in the morning when it's not 98 in the direct sunlight. Naturally I have no shade to do this in, oh well such as life.

This is also the first time I've actually drove the truck since the wreck and I noticed that it pulled sort of hard to right. Upon visual inspection the tie rods and ball joints are up to code (all new last summer), so is there something else I need to look for?
does it look like your tires are toed out or leaning in or out?