94 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Temp sender showed up today, and then it started raining. I am trying to decide whether or not to put it in the intake (I have an extra spot), or to cut my radiator hose to run it there.

Pre-thermostat would give an inaccurate temperature reading, as opposed to actual engine temperature. Cutting the hose to run a splice, could potentially create a leak to keep chasing (given that hose clamps aren't always leak free).

str8fan7

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I hit a deer Wednesday night and am in the process of rebuilding mine also. did you have any frame damage? It looks to me like the right frame horn is tweeked down and out on mine, but I think that is from a previous accident before I got it.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I hit a deer Wednesday night and am in the process of rebuilding mine also. did you have any frame damage? It looks to me like the right frame horn is tweeked down and out on mine, but I think that is from a previous accident before I got it.

The best way to find out damage in your case is to put a straight edge (wood, metal) to see if yours is off. You can also use a tape measure to check (much more accurate).

I did have a tiny amount of frame damage to my driver side radiator support. (Check previous pics on page 3 I think). I ordered a new frame support on eBay, but I haven't put it on yet because I need a torch and a welder.

I highly suggest some sort of front bumper like mine (I think it was $800 ish, but I bought matching bumpers so mine was more). I did find kits you could weld up yourself if you have those skills (I don't) for $400 or so.

str8fan7

Reaction score
I will look at that this week. waiting for the radiator support parts to arrive from LMC. With all the hail damage we have had in this area, maybe hard to find body parts at the salvage yard. Certifit here I come....

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I will look at that this week. waiting for the radiator support parts to arrive from LMC. With all the hail damage we have had in this area, maybe hard to find body parts at the salvage yard. Certifit here I come....

Ouch LMC is pricey. I stay away from them at all costs. I bought a used core support from salvage that was straight for $40. Got front fenders too for extra money, although I wound up buying a different driver fender because the other had dents I couldn't repair. I had picked up two fenders with flares, a core support and several other items for less than $200.

I go to self serve salvages when I can (u pull). I like taking stuff apart so I can learn. I'm not sure what part of CO you're from, so it might be difficult to find good parts.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
As a reminder, look at Tahoe and Suburban for parts. 88-98 is pretty much all interchangeable for sheet metal give or take a few options.

str8fan7

Reaction score
Ouch LMC is pricey. I stay away from them at all costs. I bought a used core support from salvage that was straight for $40. Got front fenders too for extra money, although I wound up buying a different driver fender because the other had dents I couldn't repair. I had picked up two fenders with flares, a core support and several other items for less than $200.

I go to self serve salvages when I can (u pull). I like taking stuff apart so I can learn. I'm not sure what part of CO you're from, so it might be difficult to find good parts.

I got all the core support parts for $247 bucks (plus $125 freight). I figured by the time I got everything torn apart and hauled off, that was well worth it....I was going to buy a cordless impact to do it so I saved money that way....LOL Since this is my daughters truck and she turns 16 in 2 months, we decided just to get new for that portion of it since it held up fairly decent for a 70mph impact with the deer....

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I got all the core support parts for $247 bucks (plus $125 freight). I figured by the time I got everything torn apart and hauled off, that was well worth it....I was going to buy a cordless impact to do it so I saved money that way....LOL Since this is my daughters truck and she turns 16 in 2 months, we decided just to get new for that portion of it since it held up fairly decent for a 70mph impact with the deer....

My cordless impact has been a great investment. Surprisingly enough it's a harbor freight house brand. I got it as a Christmas present and I bought an extra battery for it. It sure beats doing stuff by hand, and has come in handy for those pesky tire changes. It isn't strong enough to break loose lug nuts when they're torqued on, but that's what I keep a 4 way for.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Nothing too impressive done to it. I did get an adapter to plug in the fan temp sender to the intake simply because I didn't trust cutting the radiator hose to be leak free or be accurate for temperature readings.

However, in my attempt to make it all like I want it, I found a stuck open thermostat. I moved the top radiator hose just to have more room to work. I buy the failsafe brand of thermostats because of the one year warranty and they are designed to stick open in the event there is a failure. I like this theory as opposed to blowing a gasket somewhere. I swapped out the thermostat under warranty.

I did buy a new belt tensioner, and it moved more freely than the OEM one. Nice to see parts last a long while (290k).

str8fan7

Reaction score
sounds like its moving along nicely... Getting closer to getting mine back on the road. Got all the sheet metal, minus the hood in place. waiting for all the lights to come, should be here end of this week. Still need to install radiator and all the new lines and then she will be driveable at least. Scored big this weekend at the local pull and pay. Complete bumper (no marks on it at all) radiator shroud, wiring harness for lights and a new emblem for the grille for $69