'94 Suburban K1500 for Medium Duty Towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for a small trailer, a 1/2 ton burb would be fine. suburbans were built for towing and hauling....when properly equipped, of course. so far, the only thing ive towed with my burb was my 6x12 enclosed utility trailer, with my TA's LS1 motor/front suspension still in it, and a king size bed disassembled. even with a big block, you knew you were dragging something when accelerating.....but after that, big girl didnt even know it was there. braking was ok, no sway, nothing.

i towed ALOT more with my colorado, with a 3.5L I5 and its version of the 4L60E, up to a 69 lincoln continental. granted, it wouldve been easier to tow my truck with that car, but......she did it. wasnt happy about it, but she did it.

it sounds like youve already put some money into the truck, so i wouldnt run out and buy another right now. take care of what youve got, and adding a trans cooler would definitely help. as far as changing/keeping the trans fluid....ill leave that to the people on here who know more about it. there are basically 2 opinions: if you havent changed it often, then keep it in there. or, change it and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Thanks ya'll. I finally got it running good enough to even bother :). The temp coolant sensor had gone bad and the poor truck thought it was freezing cold all the time. Didn't run so well. Next up is to go do a test run with the empty utility trailer (14' tandem axle) and see how it goes. If all goes well a trans cooler is going on this weekend and a brake controller soon after. It seems that a trans cooler is pretty much required given the 4L60E comments from all of you folks.