93 Suburban C2500 brakes are weak, even with Hydroboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick history: I bought this truck last year and immediately had to have about everything up front replaced. New: hydroboost PS pump, hydroboost unit, master cylinder, calipers, front soft lines, all lines to/from hydroboost unit, and pads. I left the rotors because they looked in good shape. They're drilled and slotted, which tells me the previous owner wasn't a fan of the stopping power, either.

I've tried a few different pad sets, but the down and out is that these brakes leave a lot to be desired. Hurry stops are white knuckle dry, and towing about 2500lbs makes for an interesting drive.

The pump is admittedly pretty noisy all the time. It hums a bit almost always, but under heavy braking it whines a lot. But the steering always feels fine.

Any ideas? Or are the brakes on these trucks just a weak link, even with hydroboost? Not bragging, but the brakes on my 1991 F250 diesel kick the crap out of these all day long, and they're conventional.

Mike

Last edited: