93 K1500 5.7 | Overheating issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you say you rebuilt the motor... what did you do..... how in depth rebuild was it... did you wash and flush out all the coolant passages in the block? Get the block checked for cracks?

What temp thermostat? Did you bleed the air outta the system completely? What was your process?

sent from what use to be a great country...

lamogo33

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure how extensive the rebuild was, but just by deduction I'd assume something in the overhaul that was not replaced is the culprit. I'd check any cooling components, for example fan, hoses, check to make sure water is pumping through etc. It could also be possible the new thermostat was installed upside down. Most water pumps fail when a bearing goes, but some with plastic, or even metal, fins can erode away and not pump properly. HTH.

eyeroc87

Reaction score
Are you positive it's in the motor? Overheating was the prob. from the start, are all your cooling, fan, shroud, grill openings, air dams, whatever in good works.?

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How old is the radiator exactly? They do clog up. New thermostats can be bad also. I used to have no problem with aftermarket thermostats but the last few years they've gotten so spotty to where I can't get two that will run the vehicle the same temperature.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Start your motor . Rev it manual while standing over the motor. Watch your hoses. See if they collapse . Hoses collapse on older motors.
I mean no offense saying this . Replacing head gaskets on a motor that overheated and blew a gasket isnt rebuilding a motor. A rebuilt motor is sent to a machine shop and the block heads are remachined to new tolerances. Just slapping heads on a motor that over heated is horrible at best and isnt even the proper way to do a head gasket replacement job. Your motor over heated and blew a gasket for a reason.
You really need to pull your heads inspect them for cracks check your block for cracks. Very least have them sent to a machine shop and faced off flat. Warped heads wont seal and will cause you to overheat again.
BUT You need to find why you overheated in the first place. If not this will never end . Im just trying to save you a head ache.