93 4l60e to 700r4 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93blazehorse

Reaction score
Hey guys, so my transmission has been acting up, looking at the trouble shooting chart it's #25. my torque converter shudders in 4rd and sometimes in 3rd. It just so happens that I have a 90' z71 with a known rebuilt transmission by a local guy. The transmission has 8,700 miles on it, my blazer has 293,000 on its transmission, so does anyone know if I'd have a headache if I went and swapped units?

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headache? I would imagine so. Never done this swap but I would much sooner have the 60 rebuilt, unless I was hard up and desperate.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4 l 60 is electronic over drive-a 90 would be-non computer right..if you left all of the 4 l 60 trans wiring un done.i would think the computer would go crazy.through trouble codes big time.if you have a vortec engine.that is all tied in to the computer.fuel injection and all.i do not think you can even change up to a 4 l 80 hit up a wrecking yard or craigs list for a used trans..or you could get a jegs rebuilt..one..

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It can be done with a few modifications.
1) you will need someway to mount and control the TV cable
2) you will need someone to "tune out" the transmission segment in the ECM

Although with these mods I think it would be easier to just change the torque converter.

93blazehorse

Reaction score
It can be done with a few modifications.
1) you will need someway to mount and control the TV cable
2) you will need someone to "tune out" the transmission segment in the ECM

Although with these mods I think it would be easier to just change the torque converter.

93blazehorse

Reaction score
If my truck didn't have 290 thousand on it I'd do that, I am kind of hard up for cash and like I said I have a new unit, I have the whole truck too so little parts I'd need I'd have, I know in 92, they still used a TV cable and I know93 is the first year of electronic transmissions, the truck is my daily driver and I'm going to be moving soon enough so I'd like to have the confidence of being able to tow a trailer with a car 300+ miles ( I'd be doing more than one trip due to the amount of stuff I have)

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a 1990 SHOULD ONLY HAVE A TB 400 WITH OUT OVER DRIVE AND THEY ALL SO CAME WITH A TB 700 WITH OVER DRIVE.ARE you sure of what you have there.the THE CHEVY TB 700 OD SHOULD BE NON COMPUTER..only the tbi fuel injection had any computer.monitoring..my chevy 1988 came with the TB400 trans.i thought 1996 was the first year of the defective 4l60 electronic over drive.bad sunshield and two shift solenoids..
if the torque convertor is acting up.on a E-4l60 i would think that would be a sensor or something.call a chevy dealer.see if they have their own trans man.get him on the phone.get him to talk to you..see what he thinks.E-4l60,s have been nothing but problems.since new.you can buy a rebuilt custom one.on line..