92 SAS Underway!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I ordered my sas hangers, brake lines, rear shackle flip, and crossover steering today. I wanted to make this thread so I can keep track of my build and when I did things and also to maybe help anyone thinking of doing or doing a sas. When I recieve all my parts and check fitment I will update the list with part numbers for reference. Many more pictures to come.

Front axle- 8 lug 10 bolt out of a 89 suburban, 4.88 Yukon gears, Haven't decided on warn or mile marker hubs yet.
Rear axle- 14 BFF out of a GMT400, Detroit locker, 4.88 Yukon gears
Front springs- stock rear 52's from a k10
Steering- Offroad Design crossover
Brake Lines- Offroad Design
Spring hangers- Offroad Design
Shock Mounts- Trail Gear 13" shock hoops
Frame Plates- WFO Concepts
All Bearings- Timken
Tires- 385/70r16 Toyo M/T

Almost done tearing down the front axle for complete rebuild.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the D44 Flat top knuckle I am using. I have the driver side as well because the D44 and 10 bolt have reversed drag link mounts. In the picture you can see the slug I turned to mount the knuckle to my manual mill to mill, drill, tap the knuckle.

and here is the slug in the knuckle.

More to come stay tuned for next weeks update.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
JRgunn5150, thank you. I might be making another slug to go in the upper ball joint bore with a countersink for the Allen head. I was looking at it earlier today and it looks like the upper and lower ball joints are in line with each other and the balljoint bores are the same size. If they are it would make the setup more rigid for milling. Just got the confirmation email that my Offroad Designs order shipped!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You could do that it would definitely hold it more stably for milling. What type of machine and vise are you going to be using?

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I'm going to machine more than just mine I'll make a program with probing on my Mori Seiki DV-5060 and make a fixture. If I'm just going to do mine I will just use my manual mill it's kinda like a Bridgeport but different collets. It's tree brand. My grandpa still has quite a few from the 60's and 70's when the whole shop was rows of manual machines

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got my brackets in from Offroad Design and my gears started turning. I have a few sets of leaf springs and they got me thinking. Since I have a set of 52's and 56's I wonder how the front would ride with the 56's? I did a few measurements and I think if I swap sides on the rear shackle hangers I can run the 56" springs. Anyone done this with their Offroad Designs brackets. I can take Pictures tomorrow, its to dark to see what I'm doing now.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Do you have room to move the hanger's 2" forward? I haven't seen anyone run 56" in front, you'd definitely be deviating from the norm lol.

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have any room to move the front hangers forward. as it is the bolt will be at the edge of the frame horn.So the 52 Inch spring Measurements from the center pin to center bushing are 26" front -26" rear, the 56" springs are 26" front -30" rear. Knowing this if i measured correctly I would just have to run the passenger side shackle hanger on the driver side and vice versa and that would give me enough length for the springs. unfortunately my exhaust and fuel lines are in the was of me putting the brackets all the way up where they need to go so I don't have exact measurements yet but close enough to start batting around the idea.

But on the progress side of things, Blasted the hangers today and tomorrow I will be painting them along with steering.

My truck decided to start pissing out fuel from the return line today so I have to see whats going on with that before I do anything else. Factory braided lines done, time for some custom braided lines. :)

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the progress has slowed down a bit. Tacoma needs tires, Cherokee needs injectors and fuel pump. But the parts are piling up to be put on the Chevy. The return line from the throttle started leaking so I'm making everything out of -6AN just waiting on the last fitting so I can make the lines. Driver side motor mount bolt snapped in half, new motor mounts put in with new hardware. Had a major electrical problem, The previous owner/owners made one hell of a mess out of everything so I'm ripping out all the wiring that goes nowhere. Got a new intake, and got tires (37x13.50r17 Toyo MT). Only things left to do now is put the front axle back together, build the rear axle, swap in passenger side transfer case, shocks, rims, and then front drive shaft. I'm praying I don't have clearance issues with the front drive shaft and clutch slave cylinder. I got both axles, trans, and transfer case for free so why not use them until I can afford the D60 and NP205. :)

Some pictures.
Some of the wiring I ripped out

New to me tires. 75% on 4 and 1 brand new

Tires again

Old Filter

New Volant Intake, I have a throttle body spacer under it and the Edelbrock intake manifold. The engine bay has since been cleaned. lol

NP241C passenger side drop, need to convert to electric speedo. and th400 that might find its way in the truck, but haven't decided yet.