92 RCSB Sierra SLE, bringing her back to her former glory after sitting for 3 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
this is my high school truck. i've had her since 99 when i started high school senior year. started with 70K miles, now she's at 320K. taken me to from coast to coast, lived in Phoenix with me while i was at school, took a drive to San Diego, and has taken me to NC, and of course the Texas Gulf. i've dipped her tires in all 3. She was a workhorse that allowed me to buy a nearly dead home and fix it up. when the bulk of that work was over, i let her rest. i'm a Jeep guy also and i'd just gotten a new JK at the time. fats forward 3/4 years..i've turned her on every few weeks..but not much else. so it started.

When parked:
7 inches of lift via 4inch spindles, (she's 2WD) and 3 inch body lift. 2 inch blocks in rear.
33x12.5x15 BFGs with chrome steelies.
and...that's pretty much it.

When i decided to bring her back:
New battery...
yep, she still runs. some valve clatter. oh well for now.
is she road worthy? not with those dry rotted 33s.
headlamps are faded to hell. time for a new set of crystal clears up front.
Need new tires. don't want to buy another set of 15s. so i bought the Boss 338s and waited until i could justify $1200 for a new set of BFG AT TA KO2s for a secondary vehicle. finally bit the bullet.
Also found a new bench from a 98 to swap in. the current captains were worn and broken. original was the OE bench that i pulled in 2001, swapped in aftermarked bench with console. then that wore out, swapped in buckets and center console. now...swapped in this 98 60/40 bench. i have a post on the bracket mod for that.

http://www.gmt400.com/posts/932110/

so 2 weeks ago, get the tires/wheels mounted up.
get the seat installed.
she's idling, i'm going through fluid checks, wanting to take her on a drive.
she sputters and dies.
i suspect fuel. new fuel filter. no change.
don't want to throw parts at it, so i need to measure fuel pressure. wait on TBI fuel pressure adapter and gauge.
finally get that in and sorted, i have 2 PSI. bingo.
new pump...we're rockin. we're out for a drive 11/20

what's next:
full tune up. probably new distributor. just need to know she's running optimally.
think i have a leak at the oil pan.
brakes.
think the NV3500 synchros are failing...getting lots of grinding when shifting unless i wait for the gear to fall in on its own

what's next in the fun dept:
re-gear rearend. not much fun turning 33s with 3.08 or 3.23, no idea, can't read glovebox codes. have to do the manual tire spin method at some point.
after she runs perfectly...some time at a body shop is in order.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is how she started out, after being parked for nearly 4 years.
Plasti-dip on top half, dipped chrome steelies....and dirty.