92 k1500 lq4 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coastsidekid

Reaction score
Hows it going thought i would share some info and pictures. I pulled a lq4 6.0L from a 2004 gmc Sierra with a 4l80e. Its Drive by wire.
So far ive been gathering parts and cleaning some stuff up. Got motor out of the truck thats getting the 6.0 and waiting on my mounts and other goodies.
my goal:
NOT break the bank too bad as work has slowed down pretty good.
Have all guages work and hopefully Cruise Control
Have Electric Fans
Not have to cut both driveshafts.

Some questions...
Whats the best way to get water temp gauge to work? Tap water pump and leave stock on head for pcm?
Can I tap a fitting to the top of my radiator for the steam line?
im sure ill have some more.. Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

coastsidekid

Reaction score
Well, ive got a lot done since i last posted. Ive got all the main things done, Ill have to post up some pictures when i get a chance.
few questions..
Can i run my stock overflow bottle or does it have to be from a new truck?
Any one run long tubes with a swap like this that has 4wd?
Since i got a feed and return style intake what is the easiest way to get my stock fuel lines to the intake?

coastsidekid

Reaction score
I paid 1500 bucks for the motor, trans, transfer case, exhaust, computer, wiring, intake, hoses, driveshafts, pretty much anything i thought i needed. I ended up rebuilding the top end and dumped about 600 bucks into it. then sold the transfer case because i didnt need it for 550. So.. i got a pretty good deal. My buddy just picked up a CLEAN lq9 from a caddy for 700 bucks, i couldnt believe it.

UPDATE:

Im now routing my fuel lines and new transmission lines and oil cooler lines. I need to pick up a brake booster hose, heater hose, adapter fittings for steam vent hose, and waiting for two more -AN fittings.
For those swapping late model gms into 88-98 trucks, put the oil cooler lines in before setting motor in, i had to lift my motor up to put mine in.
Also its easier to sort through the wires that you dont need before you put the new motor in.