92 k1500 4x4 not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stenny

Reaction score
so i put it in 4wd and front diff doesn't lock so 4wd doesn't work. i changed actuator because i had one i bench tested, i bench tested old one and it works so it must be a electrical issue or 4wd electrical. i have a np241c i just am not very good with wiring i checked to see and there is no power going to actuator. so what powers it? i know i could wire a switch to actuator but i would rather do that as a last option. please help thank you

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I would switch to the mechanical cable driven actuator that LMC sells. Thats a common problem and upgrading the the cable one give the piece of mind that it won't fail when its -40 and in a blizzard.

stenny

Reaction score
i might just wire a switch its just 12v on one wire and ground on other

stenny

Reaction score
i would rather fix it the right way then to mickey mouse it

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I was just saying that those electrical actuators are a common fail point in these trucks and you can keep throwing parts and money at it and keep a commonly failing system in there or you could put a mechanical actuator in and know that it won't fail at the worst possible time. Think of it as manual lockout hubs that you can control from inside the cab.

stenny

Reaction score
ok so i think its the sensor that on the transfer case that gives the actuator that is in the front diff the signal to engage. where is that on the transfer case? i know there are 2 sensors but i just don't want to take out the wrong one

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sensor that is further back is your VSS. the sensor that is further forward is the one that sends the signal to the front axle. I would like to +1 on the mechanical system swap. its a simple install, and I went through 3 thermal actuators in as many years before I did the swap to mechanical.

stenny

Reaction score
I was thinking about it but autozone has lifetime warranty on the parts i am swapping. And i am going to be doing a cummins swap in the next couple months i have my cummins already and ibam rebuilding it right now so i will have a 4 cylinder cummins turbo diesel and i am swapoing to stick shift, and i am changing transfer case and putting in a nv4500. So i just need to have it fixed until i do swap

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha. I read that you need to SAS to fit a cummins in there because of how tall they are. Would you be able to verify that? idk if its the same with a 4bt instead of a 12 valve.