92 c3500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
4L80E is an auto. i swapped one of the solenoids for a billet plug bypassing all electronics and have full manual control. what ever gear you have it in it will stay there. i will be putting a floor shifter next. will put the GV switch and TCC switch on the stick.
never understood why they call a GV an under drive.

There are two types of add-on transmissions. An over drive is just that, an extra gear at the top for better highway. A under drive works with each gear to give towing trucks a gear in-between gears so the truck or driver wont be struggling if he goes higher gear or engine screaming if he chooses the lower gear. Most larger transmissions like ours, for example your 4L80E automatic and mine the NV4500 manual, have wide gear ratios. This is for towing heavy loads and keeping some sort fuel savings when not towing. It was nice towing 14000lbs with a C1500 up the mountain between El Paso and Van Horn Texas. I climbed it in 3+ going 75 MPH 3400rpms on a 10%. I have the weight ticket still for bragging rights. :driver:

Last edited:

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
This truck is an automatic. Definitely not going 6.6 on this. I work on them daily and hate that engine

You can also drop the Cummins in it as well. Which was another option I was looking into I really think the Cummins was better then the Detroit 6.2 or the 6.7 that was a staple in the CUCV,CUCV II, HUMMER.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are two types of add-on transmissions. An over drive is just that, an extra gear at the top for better highway. A under drive works with each gear to give towing trucks a gear in-between gears so the truck or driver wont be struggling if he goes higher gear or engine screaming if he chooses the lower gear. Most larger transmissions like ours, for example your 4L80E automatic and mine the NV4500 manual, have wide gear ratios. This is for towing heavy loads and keeping so sort fuel savings when not towing. It was nice towing 14000lbs with a C1500 up the mountain between El Paso and Van Horn Texas. I climbed it in 3+ going 75 MPH 3400rpms on a 10%. I have the weight ticket still for bragging rights. :driver:
14k lbs with a c1500? Bet the tail was wagging that dog lol.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I still like this dulley. I would change the mirrors though. LMC truck has towing mirrors for this truck.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright guys i got some leaky oil cooler lines like most of these trucks lol. I have bypassed them in the past, but being a 7.4 i decided to do some research, apparently bypassing the big blocks is a grey area and i cant get a for sure answer, can anyone lead me down the correct path? I dont really want to buy new ones just for them to leak in a year or two, I guess i could cut the crimp off and hose clamp them like some people do. whats your guys opinions
I made my own oil cooler lines using AN fittings, braided line, and part of the old lines.

You must be registered for see images attach

My suburban is a 5.7 but I imagine it would work for your 7.4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like an excellent solution. Was it cheaper than buying new OEM style lines also?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Welcome back! Nice looking truck! And it looks like your fixing it up nicely. Sorry to hear about the wife. That has to suck!

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I made my own oil cooler lines using AN fittings, braided line, and part of the old lines.

My suburban is a 5.7 but I imagine it would work for your 7.4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is what I ended up doing but used some push lok style fittings and hose.