92-94 Gauge Cluster Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am going to be purchasing another older truck, but it only has the non-tach cluster. It is a 93 pickup. I think I remember someone saying I can swap out the non-tach to the tach version cluster? It's a diesel pickup and I just want to know the RPM's on it, instead of installing an aftermarket tach. I just didn't know if anyone could confirm this.

Thanks guys!!! :)

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Generally, on 92-94 trucks their tach style clusters swap directly with no mods needed. That assumes same number of cylinders and same basic type of engine (gas vs. diesel.)

Your truck being diesel that throws a wrench into the works...because the tach signal doesn't come from the distributor, since there isn't one. I think it comes off the alternator? Memory is fuzzy on that; 6.5.TD diesel guys help me out here on this one..

Anyway, you'll probably want to look for a tach cluster from a diesel 92-94. They are out there; my '94 3500HD 6.5TD/NV4500 had a tach cluster. You'll know it's the right one when it says DIESEL FUEL ONLY on the gauge face.

I could be completely wrong and maybe, MAYBE the tach cluster from a gas truck would work. I don't think so, though.

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It does get the signal from the alternator. I hesitate to confirm that is pre-wired like the gas trucks are. If I remember later on tonight I will take a picture of the cluster that I have.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
From my experience, I had a non-tach cluster. I just made sure what generation cluster my truck is and found a tach version with the same connector. There are three different types of connectors and dashes in the 88 to 94 trucks. I will work by just swapping them in. Now I'm not sure if a Gas version will work in the Diesel version as far as the fuel gage. I believe the wiring should be the same for the diesel as it would a gasser. You can always get a Dakota Digital instrument cluster and go from there. The instrument cluster is very functional and can monitor even Air Ride amongst other things. I also have a 1993 that won best under construction and has some really cool Mods. Some I haven't posted yet like the all LED turn signals and tail lights. The link below are my favorite for style and functionality. They have another that is just a digital readout but I like the look of analogue gages.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....t_id=911/category_id=421/mode=prod/prd911.htm

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where do I get the tach version for my 91 ?
Pull one from the bag of hopes and dreams.

1991 tach clusters exist but they are somewhat rare. For a direct swap, you can only get one from a 1991 that came equipped with "needle" gauges instead of "moonies." It looks like the 92-94 cluster up front, but has the same metal backing and pin-style connector on the back like the moonie clusters from 88-91.

They're out there...just not a lot of them.

Your other option is the larger job of retrofitting a 92-94 tach cluster in there.

Richard

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Thanks for the information @Blackwater! I'm glad that it will be a direct swap from non-tach to a tach cluster. :D Thanks so much everyone! :)

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Where do I get the tach version for my 91 ?
If I'm correct, your cluster is the wheel version and not the needle one. I believe your SOL on getting a wheeled version with a tach. I honestly never seen a factory one. There might be a aftermarket one, but I haven't found one. You might have to give up the wheeled gages and use a 2500 needle cluster to get the tach.