Register to remove these ads

91 Chevy Suburban 10 bolt SFA swap to 89 Chevy k1500 IFS possible

Discussion in 'Axles + Brakes' started by llmacgregor, May 21, 2011.

1. llmacgregor

llmacgregor Newbie

So this is one of the last year solid front axles for the Suburban 1991. I was curious if it was maybe a good canidate for a SAS for my truck to achive a more durable front end for offroad. The carrier is on the passenger side.

Ive been kicking this idea around and ive heard a late 70's ford d44 is a good way to go for a sas, but havent found one yet.

I found this...200 bucks, looks good, I could fab hangers, shackles, and move the spring perches if possible. But im not sure how the front driveline, and steering setup would go.

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/pts/2394207088.html

Any information on the possibility of this swap would be greatly appretiated.

thanks
    -Luke

89 scsb Chevy k1500

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ndians68

ndians68 I'm Awesome

you would have to swap transfer cases also cause these trucks are on the drivers side

3. blackcoffee

blackcoffee I'm Awesome

I don't think a 10 bolt would be the best canidate for a SAS. It might be "easier" since some of the parts might match up or something but I don't think it would be worth it. But hey if its good enough for a 1500 suburban in the front I guess it might be stronger then a 10 bolt rear end?

4. thz71

thz71 Stock SUCKS!

Its the same axle as the rear 10 bolt id keep looking for a better candidate 10 bolts are weak