90 Silverado Theft Attempt - Column repair/replace advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jproctor

Reaction score
Hey guys, someone tried to steal my 90 Silverado yesterday. They tore the steering column all to hell but failed to get it started. The tow truck operator said they "broke" the rod down in the column which is why it would not start. They did destroy the lock cylinder and steering "lock". I have replaced the "worn" lock cylinder in the past as well as a broken turn signal, but have never been "in" the tilt column beyond that. He suggested that I would have to replace the entire column due to the "broken piece down inside the column". I also haven't spent much time even looking in detail at what they damaged on the left side of the column...i.e., the wiring to the turn signal/cruise/etc. I assume that stuff is repairable w/ the "column housing kit components".

So, please let me know if his diagnosis to replace the entire column is correct. It looks like that might be just as easy as trying to repair the internals...just more expensive. Or, if I can make the repair to the existing column starting mechanism and any internals. I am willing to spend the money to do it right, that is get a new column if necessary. The truck have 280K miles on it and that is the original column. It was short of a completed w/ a "rolling restoration"....I only needed to recover the door panels, install the sunvisors and replace the worn steering gear box to eliminate the wheel play.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bummer...I hate pricks who steal.

Honestly, I'd find a pick n pull and pick up a complete column, or browse Craigslist and find someone parting a gmt400 out...cheap way to get all the parts you may need since it sounds like they jacked up quite a bit. I picked up a complete column for 25 bucks.

You can swap the wheel if you like yours better. Don't cut any of the yellow airbag wires on either your column or the donor column...there is a small yellow plug at the base of the column. Also, you might need a new clock spring.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with Z71Hobbs. A complete column from the local JY is the best way to go. We have "U-Pull-&-Pay" JY's here in Colorado and they only want $29.00 bucks for a complete column with a $6.25 core charge, pretty reasonable IMO.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When removing the doner column tie the wheel so it cannot turn or leave it locked. The clock spring should be ok unless the wheel gets turned beyond normal range.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 90 won't have an airbag. I'm not sure but don't think there is a clock spring either. I have repaired columns and I would say get a new one. Lots of little parts and some frustrating parts to repair your issues.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Usually when they steal those style columns they break the housing on the left side and pop the gear on the back of the lock cylinder clear of the rack so they can push down on the rod to start. That also lets the lock pall drop. To repair it you need the gear and rack plus the housing usually. You also need the tool to remove the lock plate and the pivot pin pullers. It can all be done without the tools but not easily. If you elect to repair make sure you remove the three long screws at the bottom and put locktite on before reassembling. They are what makes the column loose and flop around with age. If you have never had one of those apart It will take you a while and be frustrating to rebuild.