89 to 91 instrument cluster swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudtruck89

Reaction score
Well the title basically says it all.
I'm looking to do a cluster swap on my 89 Silverado with the "moonies" to the 1991 needle style gauges with the tach. I'm 99% sure that the cluster I have is a 1991 I was able compare the 89 cluster side by side with the 91 cluster and the plugs matched as far as shape, also I read in one thread that this is the easiest conversion to do? but I didn't see anything else related to the 91 cluster. I have searched this site and the web as well and I haven't been able to locate much more information . If anyone has done this conversion or knows how to do it, id appreciate the input. also if there are any other parts I may need besides the cluster such as, a different DRAC or plug I would appreciate that knowledge as well. THANKYOU!

Last edited:

burkey05

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
i did an 88 to 93 cluster swap. this required wiring in a DRAC.

89 to 91 should be plug and play from what ive read. you'll just have to run a wire to the cluster from your coil for the tach. B15 on the intrument panel plug should be for the tach

this thread may help
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=313815

Last edited:

mudtruck89

Reaction score
well it did plug in but it didn't wanna play.... none of the gauges worked. how ever the illumination worked, the hi beam light worked, and the seat belt light worked and that was all. any other ideas ?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the connector matches your 89 cluster and it's needle gauges, it's a 91 cluster, no way it could possibly be anything else. So no need to worry about that.

It is NOT a plug and play swap. 3 wires must be moved in the dash harness connector for it to work properly. I'll have to do some digging to find them, but just know for now that's what it's gonna take. Not plug and play, and no need to wire in a DRAC like the newer cluster swap.

Richard

burkey05

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok had a look at the two diagrams - 89 and 91, and here's the differences

Left dir - need to move wire from A11(89 clustrer) to A10(91)

gauge fuse - need to move wire from A10(89) to A9(91)

ground - need to move wire from B15(89) to B11(91)

B15 tach - run wire from coil to B15(91)

all the rest seem to line up correctly

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
ok had a look at the two diagrams - 89 and 91, and here's the differences

Left dir - need to move wire from A11(89 clustrer) to A10(91)

gauge fuse - need to move wire from A10(89) to A9(91)

ground - need to move wire from B15(89) to B11(91)

B15 tach - run wire from coil to B15(91)

all the rest seem to line up correctly

im doing 90-94... do you have an exact write up? or the diagrams available?