89 K1500 Y-pipe options???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N9nefingers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So start with my 89 K1500 with TBI 350, the cat and y-pipe are rotted out from the PO being a fisherman (live in Hawaii)...he put a newer Flowmaster cat back system on it. I'm looking to replace the y-pipe and cat. I don't need the cat as we have no smog testing here but the issue of shipping $ puts the JEGS system out. Cant see giving them $100 for shipping a $180 part. I've searched here and can't seem to find out for sure if the Flowmaster 2010021 system will work or not. Its listed for 94-95 but looks like it would fit if I cut off the 3 inch flange after the cat and proceed from there. Any thoughts? Anyone have this on their 88-93? I can get this delivered to my house for $180 so thats the winner if it'll work. Thanks guys.

N9nefingers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the response. I read your thread while searching around the site. The issue I'm having though is that the magnaflow and flowmaster y-pipe are listed for 94-95 only. I can't see how there would be much of a difference between 88-93 and 94-95 trucks but I don't want to throw away $200 on a y-pipe I can't use. What I need to know is if I can use the set on an 89?

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the same y-pipe and cat back as Black_cirrus on my 88. You'll need a plug for the O2 sensor bung on the y-pipe to use it on a 88-93 truck. You'll need someone with a welder to connect it to the 93-down exhaust. If you swap to a 94-up cat back, it all bolts together with only some minor differences in the exhaust hangars.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe arrg is right, they moved to 02 sensor down under the truck and made it a 3 wire instead of the 1 wire in one manifold they had in earlier trucks. but a small block chevy is a small block chevy so that y pipe will probably fit any stock gmt400 except big blocks and diesels.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wondering why don't you have a muffler shop make you a Y-Pipe it might even be that you can get a 3" one built.