89 C1500 454 headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chromie

Reaction score
So I'm swapping a 454 in the place of a 4.3 in an 89 shortbed. The truck is a 5 speed truck with the slave cylinder on the passenger side of the transmission. Now that I have the engine and transmission in place, I'm looking to get a header in this truck. I can't seem to find a header that any parts suppliers know for sure work. I'm sure someone has done this before. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Champ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Just finished my 454 swap and header install last week. I have an NV4500 in my truck so I had the same issue with the slave cylinder being in the way. I bought a set of Hooker long tubes for a 454SS truck. Part number 2461HKR on Summit.

They fit quite well, but you have to jack up the transmission to get clearance to slide them in, and then you have to heat and bend the lowest primary in order to clear the slave cylinder and the bellhousing. I had my passenger side header in and out about ten times just trying to get the clearance right. It's a bit of work, but overall worth it I think.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I Just finished my 454 swap and header install last week. I have an NV4500 in my truck so I had the same issue with the slave cylinder being in the way. I bought a set of Hooker long tubes for a 454SS truck. Part number 2461HKR on Summit.

They fit quite well, but you have to jack up the transmission to get clearance to slide them in, and then you have to heat and bend the lowest primary in order to clear the slave cylinder and the bellhousing. I had my passenger side header in and out about ten times just trying to get the clearance right. It's a bit of work, but overall worth it I think.
Nice. I would like to see a video of that

Champ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't own a video camera that's any good, but I'd be more than happy to snap some pictures in a few days when I get back to my truck

Chromie

Reaction score
Few random pics

You must be registered for see images attach