88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Subscribed for sure! Very nice looking truck, I still think you should keep the power vision mirrors. I'm curious as to what kind of switch setup makes them extend?

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Nice. Really excited to see where this goes. That is about the ultimate GMT-400 for a work truck. Sexy.

I'm almost ready to dive into transmission land myself as well. Should be interesting.

Btw, quit posting pics under your truck. I don't want to see. As far as I want to know they came from the factory with rotted out floors and crusty frames.
:lol: I've never actually SEEN a bad cab corner, frame, front fender or bedside that has rotted out in a GMT400 around here.....

Subscribed for sure! Very nice looking truck, I still think you should keep the power vision mirrors. I'm curious as to what kind of switch setup makes them extend?

I'll snap a pict. It has a separate switch switch they hacked into the doorpanel right by the triangle cover for the mirror mounting bolts. I'm replacing the entire door panel...

I don't care for these mirrors. They are larger but I dislike the accordion thing on them and to top that off, their up and down vision sucks compared to the GMT800 mirrors. It's a big deal for towing and even just general driving in this truck - as is I have to pick seeing behind me or being able to watch the tire/fender sticking out. Not very useful.

The driver mirror is a little tired anyway. Motor on that one needs replaced I think.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dave - the dually is nice. I've been wanting a 454 GMT400 2wd crew cab dually for a while. Kind of useless are these parts, but I have always wanted a lowered dually.

Well that thing is definitely clean all around and you got a smokin'
deal on it, even with the tranny problem. So I asuume you're liking the new house??? Picked up a set of these about a week or so ago. The guy had them on Phoenix CL for a while and never sold them, so I was on Ebay one day and saw it was the same guy selling, bought them and had Danny (96k1500) pick them up for me. Still deciding on centers. The 400 and 900 caps are impossible to find in a set of 4 in good condition.

You must be registered for see images attach

400 caps don't fit the hummer wheels. What you want is the chrome Chevy 2007-2010 caps, which are tough to find. I got the brushed GMC caps for my brushed Hummer wheels.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Dave - the dually is nice. I've been wanting a 454 GMT400 2wd crew cab dually for a while. Kind of useless are these parts, but I have always wanted a lowered dually.

400 caps don't fit the hummer wheels. What you want is the chrome Chevy 2007-2010 caps, which are tough to find. I got the brushed GMC caps for my brushed Hummer wheels.

actually:

I've seen it a couple times

:)

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
actually:

I've seen it a couple times

I don't see any lug nut caps holding the cap on. They don't fit down inside the wheel, and more than likely you will need longer threaded lug nuts to make it work.

They look a lot better with caps that fit in the recess.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I don't see any lug nut caps holding the cap on. They don't fit down inside the wheel, and more than likely you will need longer threaded lug nuts to make it work.

They look a lot better with caps that fit in the recess.

Only pic i have available.

Like i mentioned, i've seen it done a couple times. Not sure how because they weren't my trucks, but I have seen it done "in the flesh".

Perhaps it's a combination of the 400 cap with the longer 800 cap nuts like on py0 rims on a 400. Dunno.

Looks especially good on the chrome style ones.

Anywho, i think we've thread jacked enough now....

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Man I wish there were better dually wheels out there for me. Oh well, I'll make due!

Came home to this today... Love amazon's 2-day shipping.

U-joints, Carrier Bearing, and some trailer wiring.

Got the joints installed. Going to bring the carrier bearing to my dad's tomorrow and press the old one off and new on.

Suburban rear Weathertech mat. I stole the front weathertech mats from the 88 also... It fits ok, not as close to the rear seat frame as I would like, but better than a universal mat for sure.

New clutch kit.

Compared to the old clutch disc.... It's a little different and a heck of a lot lighter. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. Seems wimpy.

For comparison... Here is the Hays supertruck that I installed in my 88 about 4 years ago. It's a GREAT clutch. I'm thinking I should swap this AC Delco one out for this instead.... Thoughts?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
LOL the dually one? It wouldn't fit your truck without cutting it for the bumper notches anyway. it's just like yours except missing the center part...

I actually like my clearance light on the 88 with the bumper pad intact. I'm running a 01+ dually light on it.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I did the same setup you did on the 88 and I'm good with it. I need a new bumper pad..well, I guess a smoothie rear bumper now too. Lol