88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Is it just me or is thr words almost white on the junkyard grab post. Almost couldnt tell you wrote anything but good score
I fixed the text. When writing posts I update my build thread across multiple forums and every so often some formatting get stuck and it screws with the formatting. Should be better now :)

Are you going to put the brush guard on one of your trucks?
Yes? Maybe? I've wanted one FOREVER and have just not been able to find one. I'm not sure how well it'll look on either truck, but i'll probably bolt it up to the dually just to see. The red truck is another can of worms, as the frame had springs in the way now so it would have to be modified to fit it, which i'm not sure i'm willing to do to such a rare part unless I want to fully commit to it.

Nice finds! Out of curiousity, what did the aux switch and panel come out of? Is that panel a custom job or a gm piece that I don't recognize?

Also, I couldn't read the text very easily, shows up early white on my phone.
That is out of a 96-? Savanna/Express van. It mounts up in the headliner where there is a pocket on most vans, or HVAC controls on passenger vans. You get this switch if the van had the emergency roof beacon provision RPO.

I need that guard lmao. I've been looking for one in good shape for years.

Sent from my flagged XT1635-01

Tyler/T-Unit
I've been looking for one probably a solid 3-4 years for one. I found one on CL about 2 years back and at the time just didn't have time to drive the few hours to get it and didn't want to spend the $ on it... Was kicking myself for that one but it all worked out.

Dave is a guru when it comes to 400 parts in a boneyard; it seems all the good **** just flocks to him.

I would kill for the Z71 guard, I don't know that it'd put it on my red truck; but they're so rare you just gotta have one!
I'm something like that. I just spend the time going to yards frequently. For every 4-5 trips I might come home with something cool like the last two things. It's rare that I walk out with nothing though. I am now to the point I've probably left behind 20 escalade/denali clusters, center consoles, wood door trim & switches... I always grab the fog switch though. We just have a LOT of these trucks at (what most people consider) end of life - I'd say 80% of them in the yard aren't collision damage and are just 200k+ miles with mechanical failure and are worn out beyond what anyone wants to fix. It's sad to see, but it is also useful for me.

What I really wish is I had the property and a barn to buy all these trucks, part out and save things. So many parts that in another 10-20 years will be hard to find, just like squarebody stuff is now. I'm just not in a position to do anything about it, except save small things and parts useful to me.

That aux switch is a cool find. Ive never seen one in person.
This is the 3rd one I've pulled. It's the same size as a cargo light or rear hatch switch. Unlike the police package tahoe aux switch, this one has the lighted indicator instead of being a solid button.

cplanubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what did those brush guards come on?
my neighbor just totaled his and it had one that looked like that.
it was a 2000 Tahoe limited

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

LMB1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk
Z71 Tahoe Limiteds, and that's about it, iirc.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma

Z71 Tahoe Limiteds, and that's about it, iirc.
Just the Z71 Tahoe. The Limited Tahoe was a 2wd version that did not have the guard but was similarly monochromatic.

-----------------------------

Another junkyard find in a 96 suburban... Oh how I love 90's GM for things like this.
You must be registered for see images attach

And, while it isn't everybody's cup of tea, I did install the Z71 guard on my truck. I like it but I also don't. It's rugged looking, but it's really just for looks as it's aluminum. It also needs a new coat of paint ETC, which if I keep it on the truck will happen in the spring. Fortunately it isn't the end of the world to take back off if I change my mind.

Last edited:

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I like it, but like you said itd look better with a fresh coat of paint. Those gloves look like theyre in great shape!

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Top cross bar looks awfully close to being in the way of the led bar.

I say paint it and keep it on. Or would it look better on the 88?

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the brush guard, even if its limited functionality.
It may help reduce some front end damage if you hit, say, a small deer? :eek:
Or at the very lease help deflect larger debris on the freeway or something, like a box flying around? :D

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
The grill guard looks horrendous on there!
You should take it off and send it to me immediately so that I can properly dispose of it....

Kidding of course, this truck it truly the epitome of what every GMT400 owner dreams of, every little cool thing like all the switches, Esky cluster, the diesel bumper and corner lenses, but the Z71 brush guard takes the cake!

Would bed-lining an aluminum guard like that provide for any added strength or would it be a waste of effort?