88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like @BoxerPitMix said it's great having way more power, new features, some you want an like and other you could care less for, but once that warranty is up it's not fun thinking of how to cover the repair cost. Most diesel nowadays cost above 2k for just some simple fixes. Plus when you have payments that are couple hundred its hard to pay for the repair and loan plus insurance, depends on apr and credit of course, me an wife did a 14.99% for 5 years till we were able to pay it off early. If something would have happened that wasn't covered by the warranty it would've been sold. I know couple guys who had problems right after warranty and they ended up trading their trucks in because they couldn't afford it. But its also good to have some more dependability

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Like @BoxerPitMix said it's great having way more power, new features, some you want an like and other you could care less for, but once that warranty is up it's not fun thinking of how to cover the repair cost. Most diesel nowadays cost above 2k for just some simple fixes. Plus when you have payments that are couple hundred its hard to pay for the repair and loan plus insurance, depends on apr and credit of course, me an wife did a 14.99% for 5 years till we were able to pay it off early. If something would have happened that wasn't covered by the warranty it would've been sold. I know couple guys who had problems right after warranty and they ended up trading their trucks in because they couldn't afford it. But its also good to have some more dependability

We saved up and put a big down payment on ours with our trade. Last month we paid this ***** off :headbang:

Still... I prefer driving my '05 on a daily basis lol I'm just partial to my older trucks. If David ever decided to sell that dually it would be hard for me not to hop on a plan ton Washington. I love that thing

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Yeah it's a struggle for me honestly. I just want something new and fancy for once (never had a new vehicle, except the Toyota work truck which IDGAF about because I had no choice). I test drove a couple low mile used 15 and 16s awhile back... just overall so much nicer. The expensive parts do scare me to a degree. Just yesterday we sent one of the company 2011 silverado's in for a fuel pump ($1,400) and to fix the driver's power seat motor ($1,200).... I about fell out of my chair when I heard that bill for the seat! That really makes me appricate that I am able to replace just about anything on my truck for next to nothing... The most expensive wear items are tires, most parts are dirt cheap... Motor/Trans is about the most expensive parts and they are all sub 2-3k easily... Biggest cost I'll probably incur if I keep it long long term is paint.... paint is big $.

Part of the problem is I have the itch for another diesel... Seeing as I don't want to leave a manual transmission I'm always keeping an eye out for a 04.5-06 ZF6 Duramax crew dually.... which are like hens teeth. Maybe more rare. I've also looked at the newer Ram trucks with the 6-speed and have considered them as an option.

But for now, unless the perfect truck falls in my lap or I magically become a millionaire, I'm going to enjoy not having a monthly payment and concentrate on my 88 for awhile. Soon, very soon.... It's making it's way into the garage....

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
We saved up and put a big down payment on ours with our trade. Last month we paid this ***** off :headbang:

Still... I prefer driving my '05 on a daily basis lol I'm just partial to my older trucks. If David ever decided to sell that dually it would be hard for me not to hop on a plan ton Washington. I love that thing
By the way, if I do sell it, the forum will be the first to know.

However the most likely scenario of me selling it involves removing the Weld wheels and the Whipple. I can envision a supercharged Regular Cab Stepside and the weld wheels on a GMT800.....

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
By the way, if I do sell it, the forum will be the first to know.

However the most likely scenario of me selling it involves removing the Weld wheels and the Whipple. I can envision a supercharged Regular Cab Stepside and the weld wheels on a GMT800.....
Even without the welds and whipple im sure youll still have a bidding war on your hands lol.

rojas84

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just went through the whole thread took about a week lol . Nice looking dually . Just one question do u have a wiring diagram for the factory fog light switch to aftermarket relays / wiring?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Just went through the whole thread took about a week lol . Nice looking dually . Just one question do u have a wiring diagram for the factory fog light switch to aftermarket relays / wiring?
I don't have anything drawn up but i have the pinout of the plugs.

For the vertical switch style:
You must be registered for see images attach

For the Horizontal switch style:

rojas84

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks I beleive that will work .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Did a few more mods to the dually the last month or so.

Rag joint elimination. Makes the steering much more responsive, although I'm still due for balljoints.

While at the junkyard, I happened across this set of heated leather buckets in a 99 suburban - and lucky me Devin happened to have a leather rear crewcab seat in storage and was willing to trade for my cloth seat. They are a solid 9/10, with the worst being the 3" tear in the driver's side bottom which is no concern since they are easily replaced for about $110.

And in my craiglist browsing, I ran across another set of Weld Alumadual II's. They were located in Grant's Pass and I was lucky enough that @skylark snagged them for me.

Of interesting note, they are slightly different than mine. Mine are dated 1988, these are dated earlier - 3 are dated 1986, 1 dated 1985. The angle of the inner part of the wheel is less angled, and makes a different shape, and thus makes the holes look slightly different. I'm hoping to run them on the inner wheels and as a spare, to shave some weight so the difference is negligible. I also may coat them for winter wheels as well, or polish them up and sell them if neither of the other options work out.... Time will tell.