88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Dude you should no way upgrade, this truck is more boss than that new GMC by a long shot!!! :D

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you didn't have the camper and only used the truck to haul quads and tent camp would you still have bought the dually?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Dude you should no way upgrade, this truck is more boss than that new GMC by a long shot!!! :D
Yeah, it is definitely more unique by far.

If you didn't have the camper and only used the truck to haul quads and tent camp would you still have bought the dually?
Honestly, I'd probably have a SRW truck although I do have a thing for duallys...

chevyman98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like you used the oem connectors and soldered the 12g to the factory wires or did you rewire them with new pins in old oem connectors. Did you also keep the wires oem colors a
nd where do you usually get your wire from? Happen to take a before and after of voltage, just curious of how much difference. I would think it made a worthy upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The threat of the new one scared me. :)

The new ones are flimsy POS's (body wise, not frame wise) compared to the GMT400, I have a 06 and an 01 GMT800, and the 01 will be sold, and a 93 crew cab has been bought already. looking at buying another 93 next week if I can afford it.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Looks like you used the oem connectors and soldered the 12g to the factory wires or did you rewire them with new pins in old oem connectors. Did you also keep the wires oem colors a
nd where do you usually get your wire from? Happen to take a before and after of voltage, just curious of how much difference. I would think it made a worthy upgrade.
I assume you are referring to my headlight upgrade harness I built? I soldiered the wires directly to the connectors and re-used factory plugs. I didn't take a before/after voltage though.

The threat of the new one scared me. :)

The new ones are flimsy POS's (body wise, not frame wise) compared to the GMT400, I have a 06 and an 01 GMT800, and the 01 will be sold, and a 93 crew cab has been bought already. looking at buying another 93 next week if I can afford it.
It's a super hard decision, TBH. I love this truck but being an old truck there is always the "what will break next" in the back of my mind. I use it pretty hard even though I do take care of it.

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well like I said in an earlier post, new doesn't always mean better. In addition to my a/c being screwy in my 2014, my backup camera stopped working the other day. Im chipping away at my wife to let me sell this POS and buy a low mileage 95-00 GMC crew.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Sometimes I like the idea of a new truck. I literally had to rebuild the engine in my Dodge earlier this year because the reluctor ring snapped. And that's an 03 which had 150k at the time it happened. Should have never broke and I figured it would be new enough when I got it that I wouldn't have to mess with it for a while but I was wrong.

A new truck is just get in and go, if anything breaks it's on the dealer to fix it not me. Although that is a bunch of money and I have other things going on in life versus purchasing a new truck.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Yeah, sorta where I am at. Although, I kinda want some of those nifty bells and whistles new trucks have, and the newer reliability could be nice. But is it that much better?

Your dually is still one of my favorite GMT400 pickups ever. I'd hate to see you get rid of it!
But.. If I'm honest, the new ones are pretty insane. Have you driven one? We waited til til the '17 came out. This L5P is the best pulling truck I've ever driven in my life and is ridiculously quick for a stock diesel. I never in my life thought I'd drive a Chevy pickup with **** like ventilated seats, haptic feedback with lane assist/collision alert, hill start assist, heated steering wheel. The latest Bose system blows any previous one out of the water. I didn't really want/need half this **** and I still don't know how to use most of it LOL
Having said that... We paid more for this truck than I have in my first house! When the warranty goes out I probably won't be doing any major work on it either when things start to go wrong. The thought of tearing things apart under the hood scare me on this thing!