88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That last post was a rollercoaster of emotions. :lol:

Love this truck. Screw the new stuff, yours is way cooler. If you ever did get a new one you should keep the '98 anyway. (Or at least sell it to one of us, no dealership lot deserves that work of art!)

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
For sure, I'll bet they're nice!
Every other day during my rebuild I had that thought, **** it i'll just buy a newer one.

But then the price tag...
A few more mpg out of a diesel while hauling hardly justifies the cost.
Yeah, sorta where I am at. Although, I kinda want some of those nifty bells and whistles new trucks have, and the newer reliability could be nice. But is it that much better?

Ya but the amount of time an work you've put into that truck, would you sell it or keep it.
Unless I move where there is a huge garage/no trees, I would have to sell it. No space/covered parking. It's hard enough to keep it cleaned up as is.
That last post was a rollercoaster of emotions. :lol:

Love this truck. Screw the new stuff, yours is way cooler. If you ever did get a new one you should keep the '97 anyway. (Or at least sell it to one of us, no dealership lot deserves that work of art!)
98 :p If I were to get something newer I would definitely start out trying to sell it to on the forums/facebook/ebay. I know it's worth more than an average K3500. And has a lot of stuff done to it... It would be worthwhile to take time selling it. My area it would probably fetch 12-14k on craigslist, maybe more? Bone stock trucks that aren't as clean as this go for 8-10k... without the NV4500.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
True, multiple trucks and trailers is hard to fit unless you've got enough parking. Sure would be a shame to see it go thou unless someone on here bought it

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would definitely say keep it. The saying they don't build em like they use to is never more true than with these newer trucks. My '14 with 60k miles on it already has no a/c. Don't know the cause yet. But no way would I get rid of that for a newer one. In fact all these crew cabs that keep getting posted, i want to go the opposite direction, sell the '14 and get an older crew.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would definitely say keep it. The saying they don't build em like they use to is never more true than with these newer trucks. My '14 with 60k miles on it already has no a/c. Don't know the cause yet. But no way would I get rid of that for a newer one. In fact all these crew cabs that keep getting posted, i want to go the opposite direction, sell the '14 and get an older crew.
I'm there with you, cnt tell you how many times I've thought of sell my 12 ram an building up a pre smog diesel but I love it

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also picked up this G2 Brute diff cover, extra capacity and lowered my diff temps about 45 degrees.
You must be registered for see images attach

How do you measure temp at your diff, do you have gauges/temp sensors?
45 seems like a huge difference

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
How do you measure temp at your diff, do you have gauges/temp sensors?
45 seems like a huge difference
IR gun at the cover and at the pinion, held 12" away. Not perfectly accurate but works well enough for comparison purposes. It was my difference loaded/running 70MPH for 2 hours or so, compared to similar parameters on past trips.

For comparison, the temp measurement of my friend's 98 K2500 with a 14FF and 3.73s (mines 4.10s) with camper/smaller trailer on this same trip was about 38 degrees warmer than mine so it seems to jive.

For the record, I habitually check tire tread temps, trailer bearing temps, rear diff, transfercase and transmission with my IR gun at rest/fuel stops. NV4500 PTO covers dropped the transmission temps roughly 25 degrees. Tires all run around the 100 mark +/- depending on ambient outside temps. Rear tires run a little hotter due to weight VS front, about 5-10 degrees.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IR gun at the cover and at the pinion, held 12" away. Not perfectly accurate but works well enough for comparison purposes. It was my difference loaded/running 70MPH for 2 hours or so, compared to similar parameters on past trips.

For comparison, the temp measurement of my friend's 98 K2500 with a 14FF and 3.73s (mines 4.10s) with camper/smaller trailer on this same trip was about 38 degrees warmer than mine so it seems to jive.

For the record, I habitually check tire tread temps, trailer bearing temps, rear diff, transfercase and transmission with my IR gun at rest/fuel stops. NV4500 PTO covers dropped the transmission temps roughly 25 degrees. Tires all run around the 100 mark +/- depending on ambient outside temps. Rear tires run a little hotter due to weight VS front, about 5-10 degrees.
Dang, that is meticulous!
And now i've found something I didn't know i needed: a new diff cover and IR gun :D