88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Man your truck is badass! Love that dually. I do have a few questions for you Dave:

1. How hard is it to install those C3500HD handles on your 98? Thinking about doing that to my truck in the future. If you wouldn't mind telling me, how would I go about doing that?

2. On your '88, what sizes are the headlights in your diesel bumper? Like the old 80's square body size lights?
a. How hard was it to install?
b. Can I have them on going down the road at night or will it blind others?

Thanks Dave! :)

well I'm obviously not Dave but this may help answer your questions

http://www.gmt400.com/index.php?threads/24202/

http://www.gmt400.com/index.php?threads/948/
cplanubis pretty much got you the links there, let me know if you have more questions.

I saw your truck Friday running up i5 fully loaded with camper and trailer. I wish I could have seen it up close.
HAHA I always wonder if anyone ever recognizes the truck! Where about was I at? I was on my way home from a week in the sand dunes.

I still can't believe how clean the frame was on that Burban. That's unheard of over here. Love the shed man!!
Yeah. I wish there was more use for it but they are just not worth much here.

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
About a mile south of Albany right around 5 pm. I was leaving work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did the truck run fully loaded with temperatures being over 100 Do you have upgraded radiator, fans, etc.

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't aware either that's why I asked

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
About a mile south of Albany right around 5 pm. I was leaving work
Yup that would have been me! Small world.

How did the truck run fully loaded with temperatures being over 100 Do you have upgraded radiator, fans, etc.
Hardly notices, TBH. The 454 radiator is huge, and I'm running a 160 t-stat. On the longest hills in summer while pulling boost, it rarely creeps up near 200.

-----------------------

Been a bit since I've given any sort of update, so here you go!

I mentioned the CR Lawrence slider, well I got that installed.
You must be registered for see images attach

They had the install with the cable running over the pillar trim and screwed to it... I said screw that. I dis-assembled the cable and ran it through the pillar and only making a small notch in the plastic. Much cleaner IMO.

To mount the motor, you have to ditch the OEM jack tray. Again, no thanks. I modified the position a bit and cut so the motor was mounted behind the tray. I actually have a few things that sit nicely in it, didn't want to loose that.

It had an aftermarket switch as well. You know me, I didn't use it. Instead I grabbed the closest thing that matched - I used a GM switch that came in the GMT800 GM Accessory Power Rear Window upgrade kit. It's the same text and gray color as the GMT400 and is as close as I'm going to ever come to matching the stock switches...

Related to the truck, I extended the tongue on my trailer so I could get rid of the hitch extension, as well as jackknife the trailer to be able to use the stairs without disconnecting.

I also picked up this G2 Brute diff cover, extra capacity and lowered my diff temps about 45 degrees.

During the install, it was close to the spare tire, so to test I flexed out the truck with the camper on it. The frames on these trucks are impressive IMO, very little body deflection even with the camper in the bed.

I also recently was in the dunes, my favorite place on earth.

After much deliberation though, I decided that it was time to move on to a new chapter. Introducing the new tow pig: 2016 Sierra Denali 3500HD.

Just kidding ;)

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean, one day it will maybe happen? I did go test drive a couple of them. But dang that price.
For sure, I'll bet they're nice!
Every other day during my rebuild I had that thought, **** it i'll just buy a newer one.

But then the price tag...
A few more mpg out of a diesel while hauling hardly justifies the cost.