88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Maybe once iphone has it, it would be very simple TBH. Although to get the full carplay control I have to plug it in to the truck anyway.
Yea i knew the carplay thing. I just figured it would be cool to get an actual gm charging station from a newer silverado and try to retrofit it into the center consol lid or maybe in the dash cubby under the radio. I agree though lol Apple needs to get on this **** Lol

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
If you have a radio that has USB in the rear then you can get one installed yourself with a usb cable and a soldering iron. that's what I plan to do when I install 2009 seats.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
This past weekend.... Welp, there is a first time for everything.
You must be registered for see images attach

Was driving home from helping install OEM 1-ton overloads on my friends K2500... Take off from a stopsign, loose all power, truck kicks and pops a few times and doesn't crank properly. I get it to the side of the road and try cranking, take a look at a few things (the easy stuff), make sure there are no codes but ultimately it's just not doing anything.

So I call AAA for the first time in my life to get a tow. This is approx 1AM. Had to wait 2 hours for a truck big enough to fit the dually.

Get home, check some more in depth things like fuel pressure... While cranking it I keep thinking it sounds like it's not timed properly... which is weird. It has a brand new MSD distributor and GM performance timing set...

I decide to pull the distributor cover... Welp, there is the problem.

Both screws in the rotor backed out and once one of them bound up in the distributor it snapped the alignment pins off the rotor and that was all she wrote. New rotor and screws and I was back in business.

In other news, I've been super busy working on building a shed and some other home improvement stuff. I snapped this photo one night moving stuff around... I have a lot of cubic inches here....

T-Bone

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exact same thing happened on my truck as well A few months back. Awesome build btw.

dhunt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You hope you never have to but at 1 am you had no choice. At least it was an easy fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
I was planning on buying one of those distributors, would you still recommend it?
Maybe just add loc tite?
Well the reason I bought the MSD was because it was an aluminum shaft and base instead of the cheap plastic the OEM one was, it was also about the same cost as the OEM replacement Delco unit. It's built well, I would just double check the screws and re-loctite them (they generally are to begin with). Buying a performance part you USUALLY don't have to think about taking things like that apart and checking....

I did find what looks to be a clone of it on ebay. I was planning to pick one up for my 88 when I swap to a vortec intake/ignition system. $50 VS $250 is pretty big.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370624400692

After this incident, I had found a tag inside the MSD "Made in China" :/ which leads me to believe the ebay version is the same thing without the price tag.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
I still remember doing tuneups on those vortec ignition trucks. The rotor was always new screws, but the cap I learned quickly to never use the new screws with loctite on them as it would bust the distributor ears every time. As for the rotor, that's one I've never heard happening before.

****** it cost you a tow bill. Weird

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
I still remember doing tuneups on those vortec ignition trucks. The rotor was always new screws, but the cap I learned quickly to never use the new screws with loctite on them as it would bust the distributor ears every time. As for the rotor, that's one I've never heard happening before.

****** it cost you a tow bill. Weird
Well that is why I got the MSD, it's all aluminum so the ears can't break like the OEM units.

And I have a AAA membership so the tow didn't cost me anything, just make the $150/year membership worth it.