88 k1500 no power to any wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Ok guys update I was able to pull the plate off the bottom of the flywheel and unbolted the flywheel from the torque converter and found that the converter was junk!

how can you find the converter junk while in the truck as you cannot spin it fast enough ti engage by hand?

it worked before the t-case failure and since it grinds when you put in park tells me it does work and the converter is putting power to the input shaft and turning at least some of the internals, the problem definitely sounds like its in the transfer case.

turn the case input and see if the rear output turns

you could double check trans by running it without the t-case and watch the tailshaft turn

Last edited:

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
Lol well I already have the case out so that'll just make things easier when pulling the tranny. So put my finger in the torque converter while its in the tranny and it should only turn one direction?

yes it should only turn one way and thats it. the splines that is

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
yes it should only turn one way and thats it. the splines that is

there is nothing wrong with his converter, it is turning the input shaft, the grinding happens when put in park and that is what happens when the driveline is freespinning due to no brakes through driveshaft and t-case holding the trans still just like if you were rolling along and decided to throw it in park, his problem is in the t-case.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
there is nothing wrong with his converter, it is turning the input shaft, the grinding happens when put in park and that is what happens when the driveline is freespinning due to no brakes through driveshaft and t-case holding the trans still just like if you were rolling along and decided to throw it in park, his problem is in the t-case.

This for sure!!! My Expedition did the same thing and it turned out my T Case was fried! Rep coming your way!

Reaction score
Ok that sounds completely logical to me, and is what I first suspected. I haven't taken the transfer case apart yet bit that will be my next project! I'll let you all know when I've made more progress! Thanks for all the responses y'all have been a great help!

Reaction score
ok guys i decided i'm going to rebuild the transfer case and hope that i can fix the problem... but i don't know where to get a rebuild kit. i called the local napa and they didn't really have a kit for it, just a few misc. things. any ideas on where i could order one complete kit? and how much?