88 k1500 no power to any wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
you sure you have the right spline input 241? there is a 27 spline and a 32 spline, if you put on a 32 spline 241 to a 27 spline trans(not even sure it is possible to slip on) it would not get any trans power, since you have a 88 1500 you would need a 88-93 27 spline 241 unless you have a manual trans or th400 then you need 32 spline

Reaction score
i'm not sure i'll have to check that out! i guess i should have mentioned before that i have a th400. it does slip on without and problem tho :/ still gonna have to check!

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
positive i also tried taking the linkage off and moved it through the gears with a crescent wrench but still no go.

The linkage only works when placed on one way, check it make sure it runs through 4H 2H N 4L.. should be hard to switch between if the linkage is on backwards.
Sorta sounds to me like the t-case is in neutral.

Check out the spline counts first, if those are not the same then you probably know the issue

Reaction score
I'll make sure the spline counts are the same but I tried manually moving it thru the gears with a crescent wrench when I had the linkage off and it still wouldn't drive the wheels.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
i'm not sure i'll have to check that out! i guess i should have mentioned before that i have a th400. it does slip on without and problem tho :/ still gonna have to check!

i would really check the TC. take it out and stick your finger into the splines. and see if you can only turn it ONE way, if you can turn it back and fourth it is bad. the splines are on a one-way clutch and if it turns both ways then the TC is working against itself.....think about it, a TC supplies torque which means torque to the rear wheels. i would recomend checking that. let us know what the problem was if you get it fixed

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score

then you have the right 32 spline case as a 27 would never slip onto a 32 spline shaft, sounds like internal damage in the case then

Reaction score
Ok I'll be pulling the case out again in a few hours and I'll check to see if it turns both ways! If it is bad looks like ill be doing my first rebuild too :) thanks for all the help I'll update as soon as I'm done today

Reaction score
Lol well I already have the case out so that'll just make things easier when pulling the tranny. So put my finger in the torque converter while its in the tranny and it should only turn one direction?

Reaction score
Ok guys update I was able to pull the plate off the bottom of the flywheel and unbolted the flywheel from the torque converter and found that the converter was junk!