'88 GMC "Night Train" project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's pretty cool that your dad bought it new. Do you have any photos of it over the years? I have the truck my dad bought new in '98 as well as his '88 Cheyenne he bought in 1990. Its a cool feeling driving something that you grew up in.
It looks the same now as it did then lol. My Dad put this wheel and tire combo on it in 88.
nice ride!
Thank you. It looks way better in pics than it does in real life.
i like it. im leaning toward this color combo on mine.
I've always loved this color scheme. And it's why my dad bought it.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok bringing this thread back from the dead.

Truck really hasnt been used much since i bought a 2001 2500HD 4x4 CC for work and daily. I did recently replace the entire ignition system including a brand new distributor. Its running all right but i seem to be having some fueling issues now. But last night i scored a 5.3L for free. It was in a family members tahoe when his wife accidently filled the tank with diesel and it burned a hole in 2 pistons, so we found a good used motor and swapped it in. Now im going to rebuild it and install it in the 88. Im going to need a rotating assembly. The crank seems to be fine but im really thinking about stroking it and doing a 383.

Now onto the pics of said motor.

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok bringing this thread back from the dead.

Truck really hasnt been used much since i bought a 2001 2500HD 4x4 CC for work and daily. I did recently replace the entire ignition system including a brand new distributor. Its running all right but i seem to be having some fueling issues now. But last night i scored a 5.3L for free. It was in a family members tahoe when his wife accidently filled the tank with diesel and it burned a hole in 2 pistons, so we found a good used motor and swapped it in. Now im going to rebuild it and install it in the 88. Im going to need a rotating assembly. The crank seems to be fine but im really thinking about stroking it and doing a 383.

Now onto the pics of said motor.

Beware, those are castech heads. They were known for cracking.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Beware, those are castech heads. They were known for cracking.
I knew castechs were, i just didnt know these were castechs. I was thinking the 706s were the sought after ones but i guess not. What number castings should i be looking for?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I knew castechs were, i just didnt know these were castechs. I was thinking the 706s were the sought after ones but i guess not. What number castings should i be looking for?

The case tech-heads have that little symbol that looks like a battery. You can see it in the top of your pictures, 243 are usually awesome heads though.