'88 GMC "Night Train" project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems to be coming along nicely! I've always wanted to name a truck "Night Train" or "Night Prowler".
Thanks. I named it Night Train for many reasons, one being it has that low and wide stance like a train. Not to mention it smokes like one right now.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a full day of work on it tomorrow, valve seals, spark plugs, oil change, pcv and grommet, and shocks if I have time. Will post pics and updates tomorrow.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It begins.....

You must be registered for see images

I am happy to see that there is alot less sludge then I expected to see for a 300k miles motor. Took me about 40 min to get this far. Will post more pics as I progress.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Done with bank 1. Didnt find any trace of exhaust valve seals and the intakes were. In pretty poor shape. I also picked up some other much needed stuff.

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Done with bank 1. Didnt find any trace of exhaust valve seals and the intakes were. In pretty poor shape. I also picked up some other much needed stuff.
Let me know how those rapid fires are I'm looking at them for my next plugs

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck no longer smokes! Finished replacing the valve seals. Found no trace of exhaust valve seals and very little left of the intake seals. I then changed out the AC Delco copper plugs for the Rapid Fires. Followed by shipping out the PCV valve and grommet for new ones. Truck runs much smoother with more low end grunt. Im not sure what to contribute it to more, the seals or the plugs, though the old plugs were still in good shape.

After finishing all off that I decided to remove the driver side door panel to determine why my interior handle quit working. Found the rod had come off but the retaining clip was still there. Easy fix right? No! I put the rod back on and tester it out then put it all back together. Only to have it pop back off after using it twice. Took it all back apart and this time squeezed the clip as tight as I could and reinstalled if. Worked great for about 3 pulls again and came back off. So I said F it ill try and find a new one tomorrow at the parts store along with a new roller for the door pin.

I noticed while I was looking around for one of my valve spring keepers that one of my upper control arm bushings is blaster and hanging half way out. So next thing is going to be control arm bushings.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of upper control arm bushings today along with a new door roller pin and handle rod clip. Removed the control arm and am going to take it to a buddies shop tomorrow so he can press the old ones outand the new ones in. Looks like I'll be buying a couple of lower ball joints tomorrow as well. The list goes on. Onto pics.

On another note, anyone know the best way for removing the factory door pin roller? Will the end knock off pretty easy with a chisel and hammer?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got the bushings installed and the control back on the truck. I didnt have time to replace the lower ball joint. ill do it this weekend and maybe the bushings in the lower arm as well. I can definitely tell a difference just from a short test drive. Sorry no pics, it was dark and my phone is broken.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So now its parked with transmission issues. Looks like ill be replacing the torque converter and the pump next week. Anyone have a suggestion on where to get them cheap? just looking for OEM for now since i will eventually ditch the crapomatic for a 5 speed.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So transmission has been rebuilt with updated sunshell, vette servo, and 2100 rpm stall converter. Along with it i replaced the transmission cooler with a hayden 10"x16". So far so good. I have a leaking donut gasket now, must of moved it around to much when pulling and installing trans, so i will be getting a new one of those tomorrow as well as a new idler pulley cause it started to make a bunch of racket today.

You must be registered for see images attach