'88 GMC "Night Train" project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im new to the forums, but not to the Chevy world. I grew up with nothing but Chevy's and learned how to drive in this truck. I also work at a local Chevy dealer as a mechanic. My dad bought it brand new in 1988 and put on the set of wheels that are still on it now, other than that it stayed stock until now. I finally talked him out of it after years of it just sitting. When I received it from him it had several issues that compounded over the years. Just in the last week I have put new tailights, wiring, and brake switch in to get the rear lights working again. I then took off all the mismatched wheels that were on it and bought some tires to put on the old wheels my dad originally put on it. Serviced the transmission and replaced a broken TV cable and changed all the fluids. Removed the stock radio that started going out 15 years ago and installed a JVC unit. And today I took the hood off sanded it and primered it. I will be spraying some black on it in a week or so. In the near future I plan on removing the body moudlings, installing a newer smooth chrome front bumper, repainting the grill, and sparying in some bedliner. I also will be replacing all the suspension parts in the next month. Here is a pic of when i got it and how it sits now.

This pic was just after i got it, i removed the camper shell and had already replaced the tailights.

You must be registered for see images attach

And this is how it sits right now with the new Hankook 275/60/15's

You must be registered for see images attach

I plan on keeping it old school and going a little lower with a wide stance, but upgrading the lighting, braking, suspension, and motor.

I also have a 1995 dodge ram 1500 that im currently rebuilding a transmission for and a 2001 dodge ram 3/4 ton that was my DD until a head cracked on me a few weeks back. Since then I have been using this as my DD.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I have always liked the color combo as well and plan to keep it the same when i repaint the whole truck in a few years. The red pinstriping really sets it off i think as well and i have pondering some type of hand pinstriping on the hood and tailgate.

I have several gauges that are not working and I have been looking at alternatives. I have the sweep style gauges without the needles. Is it possible to swap it for a little bit later style from like a 90 model with the needles? the overall shape and size of the cluster looks to be identical, its just the wiring I am unsure off.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We have the 92-94 style gauges (needle type with tach) in our 89. It wasn't hard to do. At the time I was active on fullsizechevy.com and I found all of my info there.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
purchased a new GM 350 crate motor today, got it for a steal, $650. The motor in my truck runs great and is strong, though it does need a lil head work, but this motor was too good of a deal to pass up. It is new and still in the shipping crate. So i reckon i will drop it in my truck by the end of summer. Just gotta decide whether i want to keep the TBI or get a carb. I will be picking up a Weind dual plan intake manifold and a set of headers before i drop it in. I will also be having the transmission rebuilt at the same time. Love the benefits of working for at a Chevy dealership shop.

Recently i also installed a new stereo and a new tailgate spoiler trim. I will have to post some pics of it later.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you!!

So I went to pick up the motor and dude sold it out from under me!!!!! Then on the way back my trans went out. I limped it to work and put it on the lift and pulled the trans out. When we got it apart it looked like a grenade went off inside. The planetary gears are nothing more than shrapnel. We figured out today that we were missing one washer and the trans parts stores are closed now so i wont be getting it back in until monday.

So since i wont be getting that motor im going to go ahead and replaced my valve seals and put a new exhaust on. Anyone have any recommendations for a set of headers?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been a little while since ive updated. The trans was rebuilt and installed. Ive been using it as my daily driver for a couple of weeks now. This last weekend i discovered a intake manifold gasket leak, so i ripped it apart and installed a Eldebrock performer manifold and rebuilt the TBI. Runs great now with a little more off the line power and quicker throttle response.

Work has been slow so progress has been slow on this truck. My next purchase will be headers and a full exhaust. I would like to dump the exhaust out the side just in front of each rear wheel. But after looking at it i dont see any way to route the drivers side. Anyone have any inputs? has it been done before?

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck looks good for being an '88 can I assume you are below the rust belt?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah its been a southern truck its whole life. The pictures are deceiving though, it needs a complete respray, which it will be getting tax time next year. But yeah its rust free.

Adjusted my timing today. It was out from pulling the dizzy last weekend. I set it for 2 deg advance and it seems to like it there. I also degreases the engine bay and cleaned it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk