88 CHEVY C-1500 ALIGNMENT PROBLEM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DID NOT KNOW WHERE TO POST THIS-

there should be a-keep it stock section or something..any way.hope some one can help me.do to a disability.i can not work on my own vehicles.i had a local garage.that i go to some times.replace me tie rod ends-idler arm-drag link. Pittman arm..gear box..the steering..stuff..but now i have what i call tire drag.the wheels turn to far to the left and too far to the right..tires drag and lock up.you have to pull it back out.with the wheel..i had never seen this before.i changed out this stuff years ago a lot.never seen this.i know the tie rod ends.inner and outer are.shorter and longer.if those were reversed.could that of caused this problem.the guy that did the work and aligned the front end..he does not know.what it is..has any one else.had this happen..please..help me on this.i need to straighten this front end out.i bought the parts from..rockauto.i am sure they sent me the right parts..

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it's going too far in both directions it the box.. unless for some odd reason the pitman arm you got was shorter then the original as that would throw the steering geometry way off..

Post up some pics and we'll see if we can see anything abvious...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the front end parts

cebter link acdelco 46b0157a
idler arm acdelco 46c1099a
pitman arm acdelco 46c0045a
tie rod acdelco 46a0423a
tie rod acdelco 46a0422a
tie rod adjusting sleeve moog es2004s

these are the pats i used..i had a garage install it all.so i did not get to see the old parts..or be able to compare.i just hope they did.but i do not know.
the front wheels just go so far to the left and right..the tires just push against the pavement..and stops..it is hard to bring it back out of the turn..too..

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you get an alignment done after all those parts? If I remember right somewhere I read about if the center link is put in the wrong way it can cause some of your issue aswell. Post a pick of your centerline on the truck from the center and also a pic from each side.

sent from what use to be a great country...

Last edited:

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you get an alignment done after all those parts? If I remember right somewhere I read about if the center link is put in the wrong way it can cause some of your issue aswell. Post a pick of your centerline on the truck from the center and also a pic from each side.

sent from what use to be a great country...

I second this. I had a similar issue with an old Camaro I had. I took it in for an alignment and the guy at the shop caught it. If I remember correctly, when you turn, the tire to the inside of the turn is supposed to turn a little tighter than the outside tire, helping you turn sharper, however, with the center link installed wrong, the outside tire turn sharper causing it to drag like you describe.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're describing ackerman angle. I thought it was only affected by the knuckles though.