88-98 HI-4 Headlight relay kit NEW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from

Those are utter garbage compared to gmachinz kits. The painless kit does nothing to account for the undersized wiring in the OEM harness. gmachinz harnesses utilize a much heavier gauge wire from the relay to the light socket and the quality of wire he uses is better than painless'. Have seen both, firsthand.

Did you see his harness in his post in this thread? http://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-hi-4-headlight-relay-kit-new.3635/page-17#post-940477 It is the whole shebang with quality sealed components, no crimp connectors, no more dinky wiring.

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

that Painless kit looks like something from e-bay....and the price reflects it......now i've used certain Painless products in the past and they were quality.......but not that thing.

i spent a considerable amount of time looking for a good kit for my truck, i won't use inferior products when good stuff is available.
when i was a kid my father told me "a poor man can't afford to buy cheap tools".....this follows through with everything.

i had my own business doing home improvement....and when people wanted to "save money" on things i used to tell them...."if you don't have time to do it right the first time, just when are you going to find time to do it AGAIN"

the other option for a quality harness it to buy the kit" from Daniel Stern and build it yourself with the wire you provide yourself. he includes QUALITY relays, blocks, connectors and such.

same with the e-bay "projector light" crap and the garbage HID kits.......you get what you pay for and everyone else suffers your lack of consideration.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

that Painless kit looks like something from e-bay....and the price reflects it......now i've used certain Painless products in the past and they were quality.......but not that thing.

i spent a considerable amount of time looking for a good kit for my truck, i won't use inferior products when good stuff is available.
when i was a kid my father told me "a poor man can't afford to buy cheap tools".....this follows through with everything.

i had my own business doing home improvement....and when people wanted to "save money" on things i used to tell them...."if you don't have time to do it right the first time, just when are you going to find time to do it AGAIN"

the other option for a quality harness it to buy the kit" from Daniel Stern and build it yourself with the wire you provide yourself. he includes QUALITY relays, blocks, connectors and such.

same with the e-bay "projector light" crap and the garbage HID kits.......you get what you pay for and everyone else suffers your lack of consideration.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

if you want to see the actual harness i bought go here:
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyder-headlamps-my-take-on-em-and-lighting-in-general.36647/page-21

there's also a LOT of good information in that thread. it was provided by some experienced individuals......there's also a bunch of my mindless meanderings too.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Those are utter garbage compared to gmachinz kits. The painless kit does nothing to account for the undersized wiring in the OEM harness. gmachinz harnesses utilize a much heavier gauge wire from the relay to the light socket and the quality of wire he uses is better than painless'. Have seen both, firsthand.

Did you see his harness in his post in this thread? http://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-hi-4-headlight-relay-kit-new.3635/page-17#post-940477 It is the whole shebang with quality sealed components, no crimp connectors, no more dinky wiring.

let me just say one more thing and then i'm done.....let's not compare apples to hand grenades either.

the kit you get from gmachinz is a COMPLETE stand-alone headlight CIRCUIT....it upgrades the ****** factory harness with 14G and 10G wire, gives you the Hi-4 modification AND he includes a little harness that affords you the ability to turn off the Hi4 mod, for various reasons.....the headlight switch then only triggers the relays to get you lights, not provide the power for the lights.

as mentioned countless times on this forum, the stock headlights get their power directly from the switch...and the voltage is HORRIBLE...this harness fixes ALL that......for what you get, it's a very good deal for the $146.

gmachinz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow....I just seen this-thanks for the thumbs up guys. I build with an OEM appearance in mind-if I'm going to offer an upgrade or a full harness replacement, I don't want it to "look" like a replacement ya know what I mean?

MT Mike

Reaction score

let me just say one more thing and then i'm done.....let's not compare apples to hand grenades either.

the kit you get from gmachinz is a COMPLETE stand-alone headlight CIRCUIT....it upgrades the ****** factory harness with 14G and 10G wire, gives you the Hi-4 modification AND he includes a little harness that affords you the ability to turn off the Hi4 mod, for various reasons.....the headlight switch then only triggers the relays to get you lights, not provide the power for the lights.

as mentioned countless times on this forum, the stock headlights get their power directly from the switch...and the voltage is HORRIBLE...this harness fixes ALL that......for what you get, it's a very good deal for the $146.

Wow....I just seen this-thanks for the thumbs up guys. I build with an OEM appearance in mind-if I'm going to offer an upgrade or a full harness replacement, I don't want it to "look" like a replacement ya know what I mean?

All good info to know. I did not realize that gmachinz harness replaced the entire headlight harness.