88-94 AUX Input How-To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the cassette/equalizer cable from the yard.
You must be registered for see images attach

Remove the factory wrap from the cable and remove the un-used wires from the connector using a paper clip. Make a loop and insert into both holes for that pin and wire should fall out. Make sure to remove the red clip first.

The result

Put the new wrap on and cut to size. There should be about 8 inches coming out the bottom, and 4 inches out the top. You can always cut more instead of add.

Heres the box all wired up

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I actually have a 5 channel amp but haven't installed it yet. What I plan on doing is using all 4 sets of speaker level inputs directly from the receiver using the factory connectors. Then just routing the outputs back to the factory speaker wire (which is decent gauge in these trucks). I would also like to try 6.5" components in the kick panels in place of the rear speakers (as the factory rear speaker wire is routed in this location) because those amped 4x6 directly in your ears would not be fun. Amp would be under drivers seat, and shallow sub behind the bench wrapped in factory carpet. Discrete bumping system right there.

That is my goal, all but the fact that I will be amping the 4x6's. I've dealt with worse noise levels lol. Interested in selling one of them aux input deals?

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solder the board following the schematic

At this point, temporarily solder the jack and use quick disconnects for the switch. Before screwing the cover on, test in the truck and adjust gain as needed. Using this pre-amp board, distortion may occur if the input device exceeds half volume. The solution to fix this is noted in the instructions of the pre- amp board (changing resistor values).

Final product

Demo Video

White Truck

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined the forum, I have an old 94 Sierra with a AM/FM only radio. I looked under the dash and the radio appears to have all the connectors one would need for the cassette wires. TO get this straight, all I would need is the Junkyard Casette player harness, Mod it to the black box with the ciruit board and I am good to go? I have been wanting to do this mod forever and this is the first time I found good information on how to do it and everything I found seemed to require the use of the cassette player, which I DO NOT want! :)

Another question is, Cant one just take apart the radio under the dash and tap into the pre amp wires? Then Run a aux jack out from it like the Ebay seller does? I have no idea what board needs to be tapped but it has to be possible. On the old theft lock GM radios I know you can mod them by tapping into the 2nd board inside the radio. Does anyone have an info on how to mod the radio in that way?

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I just joined the forum, I have an old 94 Sierra with a AM/FM only radio. I looked under the dash and the radio appears to have all the connectors one would need for the cassette wires. TO get this straight, all I would need is the Junkyard Casette player harness, Mod it to the black box with the ciruit board and I am good to go? I have been wanting to do this mod forever and this is the first time I found good information on how to do it and everything I found seemed to require the use of the cassette player, which I DO NOT want! :)

Another question is, Cant one just take apart the radio under the dash and tap into the pre amp wires? Then Run a aux jack out from it like the Ebay seller does? I have no idea what board needs to be tapped but it has to be possible. On the old theft lock GM radios I know you can mod them by tapping into the 2nd board inside the radio. Does anyone have an info on how to mod the radio in that way?

I believe all of the control boxes had provisions for everything except for the mono am only radios, so it will work. Ill pm you a pic of my box to see if it matches. You probably could tap directly into the box as well, and it is being done by others, but I haven't tried to figure that out. However, the output board in the cassette unit is a 20db pre-amp, so I figured it would be wise to do the same for the aux input.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
thanks, I also snaked the satellite antenna through the dash, passenger side pillar & headliner to stick it on the roof in the back. I plan to pick up some tan wire wrap tubing to bundle the audio/antenna/power wires together, but they are short and behind the mounting bracket so it isn't urgent.

Here is a head on shot

This is the first time I read this post... this is too awesome! I want to do this now!! Btw, greta choice of satellite station!

flyboy1100

Reaction score
Done! Sound is much better than FM.

Didn't have a cassette cable, so I just opened up the box and soldered directly to the connectors on the inside. Works awesome, no preamp required, my phone at 55% volume matches the FM and my old iPod at 80% matches

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk