88-94 AUX Input How-To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have successfully installed an AUX input on my factory radio that will work on all 88-94 trucks. I will upload the schematic, part numbers, and photos associated with my installation shortly. In brief, it requires the use of the tape input on the radio control module (located under dash) in addition to a mini 20db stereo pre-amp to boost the input signal. The result is clean, factory looking, and does not hinder the use of the Cassette/Equalizer. Cost is around $30 and requires basic soldering skills. Stay tuned for details!

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Schematic.

Last edited:

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tips

• If not using the cassette/equalizer, the cable that connects it to the control module can be removed from the cassette end, and used to connect the pre-amp. If using cassette/equalizer or do not to cut factory wiring, you need to acquire this cable from pick-a-part.
• For a cleaner look, remove unused wire from connector using both ends of a paper clip in a “U” shape and inserting the 2 ends in the 2 holes for each wire.
• The pre-amp board won’t quite fit in the case because of the screw poles. Using a blade, slice the screw poles in half about ½ inch down, creating little “seats” for the board to rest on. Use hot glue or RTV to hold it in place.
• Install the pre-amp board upside down so the potentiometers will fit in the case.
• There is enough room in the case to wire in the resistor for a cleaner look.
• I put my switch and jack on the blank plate where the factory fog light switch would have been.
• Don’t use the blue connector that comes with the pre-amp as it won’t fit in the box. Instead, solder directly to the board.

I will post more soon.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pics please!

I want to do this to my '93, the cassette deck looks new, but doesn't play the left channel now, and the SQ is terrible.

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics will come soon. I actually built and installed everything before posting this, so I need to build another and take pictures of that.

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parts are in! Will start soon among other projects including making a write up on installing leds in the 88-94 radio.