77Concours's 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time for truck build number 3! Picked up a 2006 Ram Mega Cab with a 5.9 Cummins last night. Traded in my Duramax that had signs of a bad head gasket, and the transmission recently started giving me problems. I liked the truck power wise, other than that it was just another truck. Originally when I was searching for my Duramax I wanted a Cummins. Well it took 2 years lol but I finally got one.

The truck is a Laramie with 169,000 miles. Yes, it is high mileage but mechanically it was well cared for. I bought it without having it detailed because I do that at a local garage/dealership. Options wise it has leather, heated seats, power pedals, sunroof, Infinity stereo, electronic 4x4, and rear DVD entertainment. I just vacuumed it out today after I scrubbed and extracted the floor mats which cleaned up pretty well.

Mod wise its all stock with the exception of a Banks Ram Air cold air intake, Banks High Ram intake elbow, and a straight piped factory exhaust. I just started putting LED bulbs in it and changed out the fog light bulbs for Sylvania ZXE's I had left over from my Duramax. Came with a chrome Luverne brush guard, Line-X, and a Roll N Lock bed cover too. Bed cover will be staying without a doubt.

Really don't have any BIG plans for it right now. Just get it mechanically sound and then get my stereo back in and tint the windows. New 5" MBRP exhaust will come in the spring as well as fender rust repair and a powder coated hitch. I'll probably end up doing the normal eBay tail lights, headlights, and smoked Recon cab lights too. Don't worry, the ugly Luverne brush guard is coming off too.

You must be registered for see images attach

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats a lot of truck man, looks like a good start.

Thanks, it is A LOT of truck to handle. It seems like every time I get a new truck it gets bigger. This one in particular is 20" longer than my last truck. I think a backup camera is in my future.

;)

:drool: you got any plans for this one?

Not a whole lot at the moment. Just getting it mechanically sound is step one. I'm going to get a stereo in ASAP because I hate driving around with out being able to play my music. With all these labor day sales I'm not sure what I'll buy. I'm torn between all the LEDs I need, Adam's polishes detailing stuff (for the interior), or just asking for birthday money early and using that and my paycheck towards an exhaust. Looks like it will probably be LED's since they are the cheapest out of the three. Truck money is tight right now but I get to go to two concerts in a few weeks.

In other news, I changed the oil myself yesterday. Pretty easy task and all went well until the oil catch pan I bought didn't have a big enough drain and the oil came out of the truck too fast. Overflowed and went all over the street. Now I'm in the process of trying to clean all of it up. What a PITA, everything went smoothly until that happened. I'm going to power wash the motor to get all the dirt off on Tuesday and then tackle the fuel filter. I had enough fun yesterday getting the oil filter on/off yesterday and attempting to clean up the road in front of my house.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh that's enough reason right there to move south...

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
2006 - fender rust repair? wtf? That's nuts...

The Big 3 call it planned obsolescence! This is only one of several (unknown how many they have) variations of this plan that they implemented.

Not a bad deal there. Hope the rust is easily cured or you are able to hold it at bay for a good while. Can you do anything before next spring to keep it from getting worse?