700r4 - Only 1 & Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nlh205

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post to the site I have been viewing the site for months now and just wanting some input on my problem. I'm rebuilding a 89 K1500, sandblasted all the rear chassis and adding a boxed area right behind the cab at the weak spot.

So anyways the truck has a beefed up 350 and a 700r4. So my dad has changed the trans a couple of times and the last one he changed was 10 years ago and I was bought as a working trans from a auto parts network, he installed and only get 1st and reverse. He gave up on it and left the truck until i decided to repair a few months ago.

I have done some research and the common problems of these symptoms are a bad governor or stuck tv valve. So I pulled the governor last night and there was oil leaking around the cover and also it was about a 1/4 inch from in flush to the trans case, so I inspected the governor and it seems fine, both the gear and the valve on it seem to be fine. I am away for a couple days before I can replace and try it.

So my question is there is a dimple on the cover and on the governor that I assume holds the governor in, so could the cover not being fully on cause my problem or the leak cause my problem from losing pressure?