7 Pin Trailer Coonector Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The truck I recently purchased had the standard 4 pin flat plug hanging down around the hitch but I needed the large round 7 pin connector to accomodate my trailer so I went to work trying to find a good location to mount one. I decided for a nice clean look and good location was to install it in place of one of the license plate lights, (I still have one light on my plate so I'm legal). Popping out the plate light was a snap but now I needed to drill a
2" diameter hole. The easiest way I found to do this was tack weld a small piece of flat stock in back of the hole so you've got something for the pilot bit to go into and use a hole saw. The hole drilled out slick as a whistle, converted my 4 pin flat over to my new round 7 pin and tied in my brake wire, looks really nice and everything works like a charm. Just noticed the typo in my title oops!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
ive seen this done alot really in junkyard trucks. good place for it. my only thing is i want mine more hidden. i want to mount mine inside the bed or something and run a extension from it to the trailer connector. but i have yet to instal electric brakes on my truck so i dont even know if i ever will. i just want mine hidden.
ive also thought about using a liscence plate flip up bracket and put the plug behind the plate. i think thats a good idea. but hell ive been putting it off on my truck for over a year now already.

chiefmorton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive seen this done alot really in junkyard trucks. good place for it. my only thing is i want mine more hidden. i want to mount mine inside the bed or something and run a extension from it to the trailer connector. but i have yet to instal electric brakes on my truck so i dont even know if i ever will. i just want mine hidden.
ive also thought about using a liscence plate flip up bracket and put the plug behind the plate. i think thats a good idea. but hell ive been putting it off on my truck for over a year now already.

I like the idea of having it behind a flip up license plate that would be neat.

Reaction score
Looks great. Thats what I need to do with mine. Its under the bumper and I broke more than one off during Michigan winters snowplowing. Looks to be my next project...

8716valver

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn thats awesome. You just inspired me to relocate mine.