6l80 Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully installed a 6l80e of these in one of our trucks? These things are massive and I wonder if it will requires some trans tunnel work to fit. I ask because I have a good lead on a Ls1 motor along with 6 speed 6l80e transmission complete drop out for both.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A body lift may make enough room for the 6L80E or cutting out the floor around the transmission and make up a larger hump. What kind of truck will it be going in?

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about getting the electronics to shift the 6L80 working. The 4L60 and 6L80 occupied the same space in the GMT900 trucks. The 6L80 is narrower than the 4L transmissions since it doesn't have those bump-outs for the servos. If the fat beast 4L80 will fit in our trucks, I don't think the 6L80 will be much of a problem.

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The computer will not run it and from the amount of issues we have seen at the transmission shop i work at you couldn't pay me to trade it for my 4l60e. First is a lot lower gear but its junk. We have contacted numerous companies like transgo and sonnax they all say swap it for a 4l60e and use it as a boat anchor

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a load of crap to me. At any rate, the 6L80E requires a 58X crank reluctor and genIV engine controls to work, so genIV engine/trans/wiring/computers are required. Or you could spend the same/more to convert the genI engine to run off of genIV electronics with COP and 58X reluctor. Nowhere near worth the money.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The engine and trans I was looking at was a complete dropout from a 2014 truck with the engine, trans, fuel lines, accessories, wiring and ecu. I think you guys are right I should probably just stick to a 4l60e or 4l80e.

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked at the idea. Talking to it and getting it to behave with 800+HP seemed to be an issue. From what I read they are a hand grenade after 450HP