6in lift will i have to get a aftermarket driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hess

Reaction score
I was also wondering the same thing.. But I have no idea which t case I have.. What's the easiest way to find out?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
If your 4x4 select is...
  • on the floor you have a NP241
  • electronic and on the dash you have a NP243
  • but, in '98 GM introduced Autotrac which will automatically engage 4x4 if you lose traction, this is the NP246 and if you have it you will need a new front driveshaft but many kits offer a new driveshaft that you can also buy when you buy your lift kit.

It won't hurt anything on a 6" lift any higher and you would need a new driveshaft but there are many shops that can extend your current shaft out.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your 4x4 select is...
  • on the floor you have a NP241
  • electronic and on the dash you have a NP243
  • but, in '98 GM introduced Autotrac which will automatically engage 4x4 if you lose traction, this is the NP246 and if you have it you will need a new front driveshaft but many kits offer a new driveshaft that you can also buy when you buy your lift kit.

It won't hurt anything on a 6" lift any higher and you would need a new driveshaft but there are many shops that can extend your current shaft out.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been wondering what the hell autotrac is but havent cared enough to look it up or ask. You sir saved me some digging around while looking up info i needed anyway.

chevyon22s

Reaction score
Yeah man thank you i've always wondered what t-case i have but like 97heavyhalf just never looked it up