64 Corvair Spyder Convertible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corster

Reaction score
Need to spread the 'Vair love around here. This is my 7th Corvair. In process of complete powertrain rebuild and then off to body work.

• Turbo 150 2.7L 164 CID Aircooled flat six
  • 4 Speed quick shift
  • Quick stearing
  • Minilite rims
  • New top

I've autocrossed this car for years, and it needs some TLC now.

Transaxle is already rebuilt. Engine is being rebuild over the winter. Once back together, I'll try to find someone that can replace the rockers for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

sttubs

Reaction score
My dad had a 1963 Corvair hard top that he bought new, them my mom made him sell it after Ralph Nader's book a couple years later.

Corster

Reaction score
Unfortunate. The general public were not well educated on these cars. They drive differently, and were a target by Ralph and other who were looking to make a name for themselves. I believe the book actually goes on to praise the changes made to the '65 model year (full independent suspension that was later used in the Corvettes). Too late of course, as the damage was already done.

As an FYI, they made trucks, RVs, and even Military vehicles using the power unit and even in some cases that early suspension. Also, all of the VWs were of the same design and were produced (from what I remember) well into the 2000's in some countries.

If you are looking for a cheap classic, easy to work on, fun, and rising in price (finally) - take a chance and get a solid Corvair. I got mine in turn-key condition for $5500. Besides the specialty cars (Yenko, Fitch, etc) and the '66 Corsa Turbo Vert, the '64 Spyder Convertible is the most desired of the Corvairs.

But what do I know, I've only owned 7 thus far... lol

62 Monza Coupe Sport
64 Monza Vert Sport (first ever car)
64 Spyder Vert (currently owned and being restored)
65 Monza Coupe Sport
65 Monza Coupe
66 Monza Sedan
66 Monza Coupe Sport

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunate. The general public were not well educated on these cars. They drive differently, and were a target by Ralph and other who were looking to make a name for themselves. I believe the book actually goes on to praise the changes made to the '65 model year (full independent suspension that was later used in the Corvettes). Too late of course, as the damage was already done.

As an FYI, they made trucks, RVs, and even Military vehicles using the power unit and even in some cases that early suspension. Also, all of the VWs were of the same design and were produced (from what I remember) well into the 2000's in some countries.

If you are looking for a cheap classic, easy to work on, fun, and rising in price (finally) - take a chance and get a solid Corvair. I got mine in turn-key condition for $5500. Besides the specialty cars (Yenko, Fitch, etc) and the '66 Corsa Turbo Vert, the '64 Spyder Convertible is the most desired of the Corvairs.

But what do I know, I've only owned 7 thus far... lol

62 Monza Coupe Sport
64 Monza Vert Sport (first ever car)
64 Spyder Vert (currently owned and being restored)
65 Monza Coupe Sport
65 Monza Coupe
66 Monza Sedan
66 Monza Coupe Sport
We should have kept the Corvair alive and ditched Nader ! I loved my Corvair with the under dash 4 track tape player =) Had a friend that built and drag raced Corvairs for years.