6.5 Master Cylinder for Disc Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scholioso

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I have a 1996 K3500 (CCLB SRW) that's been sitting for a year or so. Before I parked it, I installed a rear disc brake conversion kit. The rear brakes didn't grab very well. Full brakes, front locked, rears would just kinda gradually come to a stop. (Up on jackstands) so I read online & people say to install a propositioning valve. I don't really want to, as that sounds harder to do than just replacing a master cylinder. So I've been doing a lot of digging. I remember that the Tahoe police packages got disc brakes in the rear. But I don't remember what the rpo code is for that.

So a couple questions on this:
Is it easier to just put a propositioning valve in?

Is it easier/better to buy an aftermarket master?

Will a police edition Tahoe master cylinder work on my truck?

What's the tahoe police edition rpo code?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks guys!

slothbear607

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I have a 1996 K3500 (CCLB SRW) that's been sitting for a year or so. Before I parked it, I installed a rear disc brake conversion kit. The rear brakes didn't grab very well. Full brakes, front locked, rears would just kinda gradually come to a stop. (Up on jackstands) so I read online & people say to install a propositioning valve. I don't really want to, as that sounds harder to do than just replacing a master cylinder. So I've been doing a lot of digging. I remember that the Tahoe police packages got disc brakes in the rear. But I don't remember what the rpo code is for that.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks guys!
I think you will need a disc/disc proportioning valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will need a prop valve, it's not as involved as it sounds. I'm fairly certain this has to do with the fact that wheel cylinders don't need nearly as much fluid to compress as a caliper does.

slothbear607

Reaction score

Any other suggestions?
Thanks guys!
I think because your truck is a 1996 it has the proportioning valve in the abs system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk